Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Objective Of Moral Philosophy

• Objective Of Moral Philosophy

Posted by Sameer Namole on February 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm

I’ve read in Meezan that objective of Moral philosophy are three after purification.

1. Happiness

2. Purification

3. To be an obligation for the sake of it.

I listened to Ghamidi sahab’s Meezan lecture on youtube about it too but I was wishing he did a little more elaboration of this.

This seems a very important principle to live our life and I’m making notes on it to make it a functional belief as this seemingly promises both our worldly success and hereafter too.

Like we all humans are running behind perfection and happiness and both stem from morality.

So please someone explain it more clearly so that I note it down to lead my life ahead.

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Objective Of Moral Philosophy

• Umer

Moderator February 16, 2022 at 7:46 am

Please specify the exact Meezan passage or video time stamp that you’re referring to in your question so that the context of your question can be understood properly and responded appropriately.

• Sameer Namole

Member February 16, 2022 at 7:51 am

English Meezan page no . 195

[The third question which relates to moral philosophy is: What is the objective of this effort? Scholars have given different answers to this question. One group thinks that it is happiness. Another group is of the opinion that it is perfection. A third regards it to be an obligation for the sake of it. The above quoted verses (91:7-10) clearly say that this objective is purification as a result of which man shall be bestowed with God’s eternal kingdom. A little deliberation shows that this answer of the Qur’ān automatically encompasses all the viewpoints of moral scholars just referred to. This is because it is through purification of faith and deeds that a person achieves perfection; true happiness is also achieved through this and if ever an obligation is discharged without any greed, then it is through this. It is this state of the soul which the Qur’ān calls the “contented soul” and gives it glad tidings of being the recipient of the pleasure of God and vice versa:]

Video reference :

From 6:00 to 10:30

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 16, 2022 at 2:09 pm

What he’s referring to there is not material happiness that generally comes from fame and fortune but is temporary in nature. The kind of happiness, perfection, and the sense of fulfilled duty one achieves by being moral all the while aiming for purification (tazkiya) is in the form of contentment which is much more durable. It is in fact our innate desire to be morally just, but when we fulfill that desire with a proper goal of tazkiya in mind then not only that it’s more satisfying but nothing can ever take it away.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register