Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Saying “Peace Be Upon You, Oh Prophet!” In Salah.

• Saying “Peace Be Upon You, Oh Prophet!” In Salah.

Posted by Lubna Syed on February 17, 2022 at 5:45 am

Assalam o alaykum

I wanted to know about the dua we read during salah in tashhud is authentic?

لتحيات لله، والصلوات، والطيبات، السلام عليك أيها النبي ورحمة الله وبركاته، السلام علينا وعلى عباد الله الصالحين، أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله، وأشهد أن محمداً عبده ورسوله

English: Greetings to God, prayers, and good things, peace be upon you, O Prophet, and God’s mercy and blessings, peace be upon us and the righteous servants of God, I bear witness that there is no god but God, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger.

Why do we address Prophet Muhammad PBUH during salah.

What does that mean?

And if this dua is not authentic then what it should be.

Please advise.

Kind regards

Lubna Syed replied 4 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Saying “Peace Be Upon You, Oh Prophet!” In Salah.

Lubna Syed updated 4 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator February 17, 2022 at 11:17 am

It is reported in Bukhari and Muslim https://sunnah.com/bukhari:6265
    It is just a supplication of blessing on prophet Mohammad.

• Ahsan

Moderator February 17, 2022 at 11:20 am

You can read more about on page 305 of Meezan on this website
    https://ghamidi.tv/books/meezan-254

• Lubna Syed

Member February 17, 2022 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for replying my message. I asked this question because I see many people make it an argument that Muhammad PBUH can hear us all the time like Allah, and when we send salutations and salam, he replies, therefore we address him directly in tashhud.

I think Ghamidi sahab also don’t agree with that our prophet PBUH can hear or reply.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 17, 2022 at 7:18 pm

That is correct, Prophet Muhammad SAW was a human being like the rest of us and he has passed away.

Quran 18:110

Translation by Muhammad Asad

Say [O Prophet]: “I am but a mortal man like all of you. It has been revealed unto me that your God is the One and Only God. Hence, whoever looks forward [with hope and awe] to meeting his Sustainer [on Judgment Day], let him do righteous deeds, and let him not ascribe unto anyone or anything a share in the worship due to his Sustainer!”

• Lubna Syed

Member February 18, 2022 at 12:16 am

Allaho Akbar indeed.

Thanks for sharing the ayah, JazakAllah khair.

• Umer

Moderator February 18, 2022 at 6:07 am

It is mentioned in the Hadith of Bukhari from Abdullah ibn e Masud that:

We used to recite this (السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكَ أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ – Peace and Allah’s Mercy and Blessings be on you, O Prophet!) in the prayer during the lifetime of the Prophet (ﷺ) , but when he had died, we used to say: السَّلاَمُ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ Peace be on the Prophet.

(https://sunnah.com/bukhari:6265)

Same wording “السَّلاَمُ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ” is also narrated from Hazrat Aisha (rta) as well, as mentioned in Musnad al-Siraj, which according to Shiekh Albani is from a sound chain of narrators.

But the wordings from Abdullah ibn e Abbas, Abdullah ibn e Umar, Abu Musa Ashari and Umar ibn e Khattab have the words ” السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكَ أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ“. It is also mentioned in Musnaf Abdur Razzaq from a sound chain of narrators from Ataa that Sahaba used to recite السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكَ أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّPeace and Allah’s Mercy and Blessings be on you, O Prophet! in the prayer during the lifetime of the Prophet (ﷺ) , but when he had died, they used to say: السَّلاَمُ عَلَى النَّبِيِّPeace be on the Prophet“.

The point being that none of the Sahaba used to recite this on the belief that Prophet (sws) was hazir-o-Nazir (present) among them. This supplication started during time of the Prophet (sws) when he used to be present in front of the Sahaba, so they used to recite with السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكَ أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ, and this tradition carried forward with the same words; and some of the Sahaba changed the wordings to make it more appropriate to the changing circumstances and maybe some carried forward the tradition. These words are not an obligatory supplication of the Salah to be recited at all costs in the same exact manner, that is why we see some difference in wordings of this supplication as recited by different Sahaba. One can opt to either change these words or can carry forward with the same traditional wordings. It is neither an obligatory supplication, nor there is any requirement to recite the same exact words in the same exact order; but a very beatiful supplication nervetheless.

However, saying such words with a belief that Prophet (sws) is hazir-o-Nazir (present) would tanamount to Shirk.

• Lubna Syed

Member February 18, 2022 at 8:46 am

Yes , that sounds better, that is how it should be.

السَّلاَمُ عَلَى النَّبِى

Off course it a beautiful supplication, with correct wording.

Many thanks for providing references.

It is very important, those who are saying “ salam upon you, o prophet PBUH” should say “ salam on prophet PBUH”

JazakAllah khair

• Ahsan Ali

Member December 12, 2023 at 3:49 pm

@UmerQureshi @Lubna

Please share Tashahud with this word with translation

• Umer

Moderator December 13, 2023 at 7:03 am

التَّحِيَّاتُ لِلَّهِ وَالصَّلَوَاتُ وَالطَّيِّبَاتُ، السَّلاَمُ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ وَرَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ، السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْنَا وَعَلَى عِبَادِ اللَّهِ الصَّالِحِينَ، أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَأَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهُ وَرَسُولُهُ‏.‏

“All salutations, supplications and good deeds are for God; Peace and Allah’s Mercy and Blessings be on the Prophet, Peace be to us also and to all pious people too. I bear witness that there is no god except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad (sws) is His servant and Messenger”.

• Lubna Syed

Member December 13, 2023 at 11:34 am

Thank you JazakAllah Mr Umar

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register