Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Slave Trade In Islam

Tagged: 

• Slave Trade In Islam

Posted by Fariah on February 18, 2022 at 2:00 pm

Asalamoalaikum

I wanted to inquire: why does Islam allow the SELLING of slaves?

I’m not asking about the concept of our slavery in itself. im asking about our need to SELL these poor vulnerable people to others.

I’ve heard of selling merchandise, Cows, Chickens, Fruits, Perishable/ Non Perishable Goods.

Did these humans, who are capable of speech, feelings, and intelligence in any way look like something meant to be sold?

Why couldn’t we distribute them without objectifying them like purchased merchandise?

Why couldn’t we distribute these slaves as if an adoption process?

The same goes for GIFTING slaves.

Did these HUMANS in any way look like perishable /non perishable goods, that Muslims would gift them to each other like some sick eid gift exchange?

Why did we have to show these slaves their doomed status as second class, buyable people?

Again, if I get anything wrong, please correct me. And if I said anything disrespectful I apologize.

JazakAllah Khair.

Fariah replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Slave Trade In Islam

Fariah updated 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 18, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Islam doesn’t permit slave trade. To understand Islam’s perspective on slavery please see:

Discussion 30330

• Fariah

Member February 18, 2022 at 10:15 pm

I’m sorry for a counter argument, but hearing about Juwariyya RA story still does not settle my doubts.

Why on earth did her poor father have to give ransom camels to our prophet for his daughter’s release from slavery? He had every right to take her without such settlement!

This shows that it’s more about making profit, than it is about the freedom of slaves. If we really wanted to, we could have freed slaves, without taking any form of payment. Our prophet would have freed Juwariyya RA without taking those camels from her father.

Could you please clear this? JazakAllah Khair

• Fariah

Member February 18, 2022 at 10:27 pm

I’m sorry but just to add:

about Saffiyah RA: if keeping her relatives as Prisoners of War was ” shameful ” because they were the in laws of the Prophet PBUH, doesn’t this mean that Muslims thought of Slavery as humiliating and degrading, yet declared people as such?

If being a Prisoner of War was shameful and dirty, why did Muslims declare a vulnerable group as peoples as such?

Please help me understand. JazakAllah Khair.

• Fariah

Member February 18, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Also, If Islam does not permit slave trade, then what about the event in which the King of Alexandria GIFTED our prophet PBUH slaves, one of whom is our Mother of Believers, who bore his son Ibraheem?

I’m sorry for the oncoming questions, I promise this is the final one. JazakAllah Khair.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 18, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Please go through the link shared above.

• Fariah

Member February 18, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Sir I posed my questions right after I went through the discussions in the link, and I came back with some more confusion. Could you help me out? JazakAllah Khair.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 18, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Sister please understand that in order to claim that Islam permits slave trade, there should either be a passage in the Quran or an established Sunnah to support that claim. Not only that neither of these exist, but to the contrary, Islam tried to eliminate slavery from its very roots.

Please go through all the material in the link above once again in order to understand the issue of slavery as well as its various aspects in context. Without properly understanding the context there will always be confusion.

• Fariah

Member February 18, 2022 at 11:45 pm

But sir, there are mentions of ” slaves “( discluding slaves of Allah SWT ) and ” slave girls ” in the Quran. The thread you even sent me to read had rulings on practices with slaves, according to ” teachings from the Quran “. Our Prophet PBUH’ s adopted son was even a formal ” slave “. There are also many Islamic narrations with ” slaves ” in it. Would that be a different context?

And many sources state that Islam did not eliminate Slavery, but neither did they permit it.

And the points that I bought up regarding the Mothers of Believers are from the thread you have posted, as well as many Islamic literature.

I would just like to clear this misconceptions from my head. Sorry if I come across as difficult.

JazakAllah Khair.

• Fariah

Member February 19, 2022 at 1:00 am

Asalamoalikum Sir

I wanted to inform you that I comprehend this concept now. JazakAllah Khair for explaining to me my misconceptions.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register