Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Narration Of Sahabi Suwaybit And Nuayman Degrading And Making Fun Of Slaves

• Narration Of Sahabi Suwaybit And Nuayman Degrading And Making Fun Of Slaves

Posted by Fariah on February 19, 2022 at 2:12 pm

Asalamoalaikum

I write in response to the last thread, where I was corrected upon my incorrect perception of ” slave exchange ” permit.

My misconceptions have been cleared by reading from the thread, but only two question stands:

Why did the slaves have to BUY their freedom? Why could they not be freed, if ransom was not fixed for their release?

This makes Muslims back then look like kidnappers ( nauthubillah ): if the captive, or someone on behalf of the captive did not fix a ransom, then the captive would remain a captive and serve the Muslims, and the captive and their relatives would never reunite.

Why was this ransom important?

And why was their other mean of being free, providing service to their captor’s community?

These poor captives should not have to do a SINGLE bidding of their captors, and should be released without giving a SINGLE penny!

And one point I still stand with about this regard: if Muslims were taking ransom in exchange of captives, this means there was no meaning to being a captive, if their release was given to them in exchange of a few coins. This means Muslims didn’t have a reason for declaring peoples as captives, and were just looking for quick way to make profit! If Muslims wanted to, they would release captive upon request, without taking ransom or making them do their bidding!

why were these regulations the common practice?

I’m sorry if I write anything incorrect or disrespectful. If I do, please correct me.

JazakAllah Khair.

Fariah replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Narration Of Sahabi Suwaybit And Nuayman Degrading And Making Fun Of Slaves

Fariah updated 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • Fariah

Member February 20, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Asalamoalaikum

I don’t comment with intent to pester for quick response. I would just appreciate if this inquiry could be answered soon, In Sha Allah.

Many threads have a blanket statement, that ” they took ransom from slaves in exchange of freedom “, but do not give the divinity behind this, or why this action was necessary.

That is all I would like to Inquire, as I fail to comprehend how this concept fits into Islamic ethics.

JazakAllah Khair

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2022 at 3:48 pm

I think that you’re confusing slavery with prisoners of war. Hopefully the following thread will help:

Discussion 1763

• Fariah

Member February 21, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Asalamoalaikum

I did mean Prisoners of War, when I said Slavery. That’s a fault on my behalf.

I just want to know why this ” ransom ” or ” exchange ” was necessary. If freedom was given within a few coins, it means the Muslims could have freed the POW without taking anything from the POWs. Freedom from ransom comes across as an excuse to keep POWs in their state for no reason but profit.

Also, why do POWs have to provide service for their freedom? They should be freed without the need to.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Please see the link shared above. The text and videos have all the relevant information.

• Fariah

Member February 22, 2022 at 11:22 am

I just wanted to confirm about authenticity of a supposed ” Sahih Bukhari ” Hadith, where a “Humourous” Sahabi SELLS his friend off as a slave, to nearby travellers, as a joke. This hadith goes on to describing how this friend was dragged away, as if he was not worth anything. They then rescued him later when they explained the situation to the prophet PBUH, who ALSO found this event funny!

This means that Muslims were ok with treating their slaves like they did not have value, and could be sold just like that. They thought it was funny to have slaves dragged by their ” owners ” as if they were not meant anything.

Could you please inform of this hadith/ narration’s authenticity? Muslims did not go around BUYING slaves from one another, all whilst the slave was trying to earn his freedom, right? The only time there was a payment, was from the SLAVE themselves, for their FREEDOM, right?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 22, 2022 at 1:45 pm

First of all, please understand that Islam has been given to us by Prophet Muhammad SAW in the form of the Quran and the Sunnah. Hadith narrations are historical events related by other people, and while there’s a lot that can be learned from them, they must be understood in the light of the Quran and the Sunnah. In other words, they’re not an independent source of Islam.

The second thing that must be appreciated is that hadith narrations are generally missing the context of any given event. When all narrations about a particular event are investigated together, sometimes we can piece together the context. Regardless, they still must be understood in the light of the Quran and the Sunnah because these are events narrated by others and have a lot room for intended as well as unintended corruption.

Lastly, there are lots of narrations that relate events that have nothing to do with Islam. I don’t recall ever seeing the narration that you shared above, but even if it’s true, the most that can be concluded from it is that someone just played a practical joke on his friend.

Also, please note that according to the Code of Conduct of Ask Ghamidi, people are required to cite proper references when quoting the Quran, Hadith, or anything else said or written by anyone.

• Fariah

Member February 25, 2022 at 2:01 pm

For the last reply, what if legitimate narrations are against the teachings of the Quran and Sunnah?

As for this sahabi’s actions, he did and thought something AGAINST Islam: SELLING slaves.

According to what you have told me so far, Selling POWs was haraam, yet his actions makes it seem like people DID go around SELLING POWs.

Even as a joke, he made humour out of such a SHAME POWs go through as they are sold. Did Free people really think this highly of themselves back then? They thought this was funny?

( I’m sorry if I wrote anything wrong )

• Umer

Moderator February 26, 2022 at 11:45 am

This specific narration can be found in Musnad Ahmad and in Ibn-e-Maja and has been categorized as Daef (weak) because of a weak narrator Zamaa’ bin Saleh. Details can be found in the given links in the footnote [1].

In addition to this, this narration has been narrated by Ibn-e-Shahab Zohri, and Farahi school has recorded some concerns on his narrations in the light of information provided by ulema-e-ilm ur rijal and ulema-e- ilm ul Hadith, which can be read in the following threads under heading: “Appendix B: The Controversial Personality of Ibn Shihāb Zuhrī“:(Discussion 1740) AND under heading “Appendix A: The Questionable Personality of Ibn Shihab al-Zuhri“:(Discussion 1663).

Footnote [1]:

Ibn-e-Maja:

https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah:3719

Musnad Ahmad:

https://al-maktaba.org/book/25794/22388#p1

https://al-maktaba.org/book/25794/22389#p1

• Fariah

Member February 26, 2022 at 2:24 pm

JazakAllah Khair for the Response.

I was going to present you with the name and source of narration: Sahabi was known as Nuayman ibn Amr and this narration was supposedly narrated by Umme Salemah

There were also other narrations that I heard of this individual, such as his other prank consisting of STEALING someone’s camel as a joke and SLAUGHTERING it and presenting it as food, which counts as THIEVERY in Islam yet he got away with. He also stole war treasure in another hadith, and gave it to the prophet PBUH as a gift, without the consent of the person the war treasure belonged to. That was another violation of Theivery, yet this Sahabi got away with it.

These narrations cannot be true, as they are NOT an example of humour Muslims can have with each other, as they go against Islam! These narrations just puts Nuayman RA’s name under bad light, and glorifiies what he ” supposedly ” did!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register