Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of Word Tabarruj Used In Quran And Hadith

Tagged: , , ,

• Meaning Of Word Tabarruj Used In Quran And Hadith

Posted by Mumin Ahmad on February 20, 2022 at 12:44 am

Assalamualaikum

I’m confused about the meaning of the word “tabarruj”.

Does it mean simply displaying your adornments (regardless of intention) or having the desire to display adornments in order to attract men?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Meaning Of Word Tabarruj Used In Quran And Hadith

• Umer

Moderator February 21, 2022 at 6:41 am

Women have this innate desire of beautification and adornement and desire to display this as well. Tabarruj refers to this attitude of openly displaying embellishments and adornment to others.

• Mumin Ahmad

Member February 21, 2022 at 7:27 am

Thank you for your response sir

Why is that we see in the translations of Ayat 60 of Surah Nur that almost scholars translate it as in these terms

” there is no sin on them, if they take off their (extra) clothes while they do not display their adornment.”

” it is no sin for them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show adornment”

” there is no blame upon them for putting aside their outer garments [but] not displaying adornment”

” will incur no sin if they cast off their outer garments without displaying their adornment.”

Why isn’t ghayr mutabarrijati bizeenah instead translated as ” if they don’t have the urge / desire to display” , because the traditional translations make it seem that it is ok for old women to take off their siyaab only of they’re not showing their adornments while Ghamidi sahab’s opinion is that they can take off this siyaab and need not to hide their adornments as long as they don’t have the urge to display ( if I’m not mistaken), right?

How do we see this problem in the light of Arabic linguistics?

Thank you

• Umer

Moderator February 21, 2022 at 9:13 am

I have already responded to this point to the best of my understanding in the following response:

Discussion 60993 • Reply 61058

• Mumin Ahmad

Member February 21, 2022 at 9:54 am

Thank you for your response brother Umer

Can anyone else clear my confusion? Plz.

• Umer

Moderator February 22, 2022 at 6:21 am

Maybe Irfan Sahab (@Irfan76 ) can help you out in this confusion.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 23, 2022 at 12:46 am

Showing something and showing off are two different things. In order for one to not show off, one must have a something to show off. It is obvious that the women may adorn but they are obliged to not to show them off.

It is all about the manner in which something is to be shown off. If they were commanded to hide their adornments, there is no reason to command to not show them off as in the verse 31 of Sura Nur. In that verse women were asked to not to display their adornments. Since there is no question of showing off that is why there is no mention of showing off.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register