Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Treating Family Members With Respect

• Treating Family Members With Respect

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on February 20, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I recall Ghamidi Sahab mentioning in one of his videos that treating the people in our homes with respect is more difficult than respecting outsiders. I will try to find the video and link it here.

This is something that I have observed in my personal life as well. Are there any steps that I can take to be more respectful and kind to the people I live with? Especially in the case that one feels irritation towards someone for no particular reason.

Are there any thoughts on why it is easier to treat outsiders with respect?

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Treating Family Members With Respect

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • Haseeb Faisal

Member February 20, 2022 at 5:03 pm

I believe it’s this video, at around the 3:00 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY2hGkUqnE

• Umer

Moderator February 22, 2022 at 4:20 am

We care more about our image to the outer world, how they perceive us and whether we are in their good books or not–to simetimes achieve some material benefits or sometimes it gives us a sense of achievement (a good social standing etc.). While with our household memebers, there is no such benefit to gain, instead, most of the times it is patience and sacrifice that is required from us. And most of all, there’s no social compulsion on us to be good with them all the time as there’s nothing to lose in terms of material benefits.

Holding onto high moral values and reminding oneself of their ultimate goal of akhirah and how to acheve it (i.e. tazkiya) can help one being more respectul to the their immediate family memebers. Sometimes reminding ourselves of the sacrifices made by or good deeds done by our family members for us can also helo us empathize with them better. In addition to this, one should continually perform self-accountability every night, to identify mistakes made during the day and try to not repeat those mistake the next day; and be a better version of ourselves with every passing day.

Please refer to the video below from 43:50 to 51:35

https://youtu.be/f53XkKt2bf8?t=2630

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 25, 2022 at 11:27 am

JazakAllah for the great explanation, Mr. Umer Qureshi! I really appreciate it!

• Umer

Moderator February 22, 2022 at 4:20 am

Please also refer to the video below from 1:55:30 to 1:56:03

The discussion "Treating Family Members With Respect" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now