Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Discussing Job Interviews Resulting In Violation Of Haqooq-ul-Ibad

Tagged: ,

• Discussing Job Interviews Resulting In Violation Of Haqooq-ul-Ibad

Posted by Sana on February 23, 2022 at 4:32 pm

I find the concept of Huqooq-ul-Ibad somewhat troubling, especially when Allah mentions that he forgives all sins except shirk. I understand the importance (especially in the context of returning debts), but I am troubled by the following scenario: what if we do something wrong/tell a lie that may, or may not have infringed on someone’s rights? A case where we are unsure?

Recently I was interviewing for a job. Outside of the interview room, I asked a friend how the interview went and they told me “so-and-so” happened and a few of the questions they asked. I didn’t think much of it at the time, and we both got the job along with a few other candidates.

Upon reflection however, I realized that candidates were not supposed to discuss their interviews. This is something I neglected at the time, but have now begun to feel guilty about. What if, due to my knowledge of how my friend’s interview went, I also got the job – possibly over another candidate? I knew I was competent and had the qualifications they were seeking and had a good chance of getting the job regardless. However, now this thought is stuck in my mind.

In this case (i) do I have rights to return and (ii) how do I accomplish this? One thing I envisioned was quitting the job, but the reality is that the internship is nearly over and no one will be hired for this position – technically “not returning rights”. Importantly, I do not even know if anyone’s rights were harmed. This is just a possibility.

Since this situation obviously does not relate to the rights of Allah, I feel that something needs to be done to return the rights of others. Do I publically go to my boss, confess and request to be put in contact with the other job applicants so I should apologize? I know this will come at serious deterimant to myself, but I feel awful, have asked Allah for forgiveness, given Sadqah, and still do not know if it’s enough per “Huqooq ul Ibad”/

What should I do? I am very confused.

Umer replied 1 year, 10 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Discussing Job Interviews Resulting In Violation Of Haqooq-ul-Ibad

Umer updated 1 year, 10 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 23, 2022 at 7:37 pm

It is quite normal for people to discuss their interviews with other candidates. Unless the candidates were specifically asked not to discuss the interview with each other, I don’t see anything worrisome.

• Sana

Member February 23, 2022 at 7:44 pm

But in my case, we were not supposed to. I neglected it at the time, as I saw colleagues discussing as well, but later realized that we were given clear instructions.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 23, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Ok if you have knowingly violated the rule then you can expect to be held accountable for it. It’s not only that you might have infringed upon another candidate’s right but you have violated the trust of your employer. Unfortunately I can’t tell you how to fix the situation in this world, but you should sincerely repent to God for your mistake.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 20, 2022 at 1:18 pm

Asalamualaikum Mr. Faisal Haroon,

What if you refuse to provide any details on an interview, but you strongly imply something? For example, what if I say:

“I’m not allowed to share any information as per the contract, but I would really encourage you to do xyz . . .”

JazakAllah

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 20, 2022 at 11:27 pm

It might be okay, but since every situation is different, a generic ruling in such things is not possible. In principle, we should understand that we can’t fool God, however, if we have a valid justification for our actions then of course God won’t do any injustice to us.

• Sana

Member February 23, 2022 at 7:59 pm

I acknowledge that I am accountable, but I feel terrible and full of despair. I have given charity in the name of anyone I may have harmed and made sincere Dua for Allah to bless them.

How do I repair Huqooq ul Ibad in this case? Please, I am so confused about this concept and feel so desperate to put it right. Do I quit my job? I am not sure how this returns anyone’s rights, but I just don’t know anymore, especially since I think I would have gotten the job regardless. Quitting feels like transgressing against my past efforts, but I don’t know how to truly return rights in this case either.

• Amara Khondekar

Member March 21, 2022 at 12:40 am

Hello, I have taken few interview and there are several parameters of selection of candidates.

1. Multiple round

2. Personality test

3. Different question

We don’t know they were also asked similar set of question you discussed. Also, I read if anyone does little cheating in exam or resume that does not make their job/income haram.

Specifically for fresher we check how much they are confident to do work.

I think you should just apologize to Allah. Because that is the maximum and best you can do.

As there are scholars who said even if the degree is fake still if the person is able to do job income is halal. But of course lot if lies.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 23, 2022 at 8:03 pm

I apologize but that’s for you to figure out on your own depending upon your situation.

• Sana

Member February 23, 2022 at 8:17 pm

As a more general question, are we liable for returning Huqooq ul Ibad if we are sure we (i) did something wrong but (ii) not sure if someone’s rights were affected?

For example: someone cheats on a test, gets into a college they would have likely gotten into anyways. Now they have no idea if they need to return rights and how. For this person, cheating done out of ignorance, followed by deep remorse can create life-long anxiety about faith. They did not mean to usurp others’ rights, but with reflection, realized years into their degree that they might have hurt someone’s chances. They will have to go through life, not knowing if they are destined for Hell because if someone was harmed, they had no way to forgive them.

How should such a person move past this? (From the Islamic Framework – where they sincerely repent to Allah and promise not to cheat again, but are unsure if they have successfully fulfilled Huqooq ul Ibad)?

• Rehman Ali

Member June 11, 2022 at 7:02 am

Sana. AoA. I am in the same pool. I don’t know what to do. I tried approaching Ghamidi sir by some means to ask this question but I couldn’t. How do we get the answer of these questions I HAVE BEEN VERY UPSET! Please reply if you have got the answer.

• Umer

Moderator June 12, 2022 at 1:07 am

It has been principally responded by Ghamidi Sahab in the following video response:

Discussion 64975 • Reply 65016

• Sana

Member February 23, 2022 at 8:19 pm

I remember Ghamdi’s video on Huqooq ul Ibad where he mentions that someone who usurped anothers’ material rights should return those rights. This makes sense: the amount of money taken is known, and can be returned to the person or his heirs.

It’s these intangible rights that give me anxiety, where there is no certainty of absoloution. How do I know when enough is enough?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register