Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Why Does Quran Emphasize So Much On Morality And Not On Physical Health

• Why Does Quran Emphasize So Much On Morality And Not On Physical Health

Posted by Shamir on February 26, 2022 at 11:40 pm

My question is that the Quran emphasizes on morality, so is morality the most important thing in this world after believing in God or there are many other areas such as your health etc. Why does Islam not emphasize it?

Shamir replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Why Does Quran Emphasize So Much On Morality And Not On Physical Health

Shamir updated 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 27, 2022 at 1:48 am

Quran has come to tell us that we are going to meet our Lord so we need to prepare for that by purifying ourselves.

The matters related to common sense and experience are left on us to decide what is the best way to do. We are told in Quran what we cannot know or decide about in the perspective of the hereafter.

• Shamir

Member February 27, 2022 at 2:05 am

I do not understand what you are saying. You are simply saying that ethics is about our preparation for the Hereafter. But my common sense says that I should be morally good Then why does the Qur’an emphasize this so much?

• Shamir

Member February 27, 2022 at 2:09 am

The Qur’an has left many other aspects to our intellect, then the Qur’an could have left this decision to our intellect.

• Umer

Moderator February 27, 2022 at 8:12 am

Quran doesn’t teach us about Ethics, because the basis of Ethics, just like our common sense has been ingrained in us inside our nature (‘fitrat‘). We are well aware of what is good (‘Maruf‘) and what is wrong (‘Munkar‘) and that good should be preferred over wrong. And just the way our common sense guides us toward taking good care of our physical health, similarly our common sense also guides us to be good all the time. Since we humans are surrounded by emotions, whims, wishes and prejudice, which at times cloud our judgement of following good all the time, and a mistake in this matter can actually have eternal implications in the hereafter, therefore Quran reminds us of this fact so that we don’t slip along the way. Had it not been a matter of eternal implications, then it too would have been left to the common sense of humans just like other worldly matters.

Please also see:

Discussion 63834

• Shamir

Member February 27, 2022 at 8:26 am

That is to say, to speak kindly to someone or to treat them well is up to our intellect and I was considering it as teachings of Qur’an. Thank you so much Qureshi bhai.

• Shamir

Member February 27, 2022 at 8:28 am

So most people say that it is Sunnah to be kind to someone. Is it Sunnah or Seerat of Mohammad S.A.W

• Umer

Moderator February 27, 2022 at 8:39 am

Being kind to people is common sense based on our nature and Prophet Muhammad (SwS) emphasized it both through his words and through his Uswa (Seerah). It can also be called Sunnah in literal sense as in way of the Prophet (sws).

• Shamir

Member February 27, 2022 at 8:42 am

But Sunnah is based on the Qur’an, so it is based on our nature and our intellect also demands it, then how can it be called Sunnah?

• Umer

Moderator February 27, 2022 at 8:47 am

Sunnah has both literal meaning i.e. way of the Prophet and is also used as a technical term i.e. That part of religion which relates to rituals and Ibadah and has been transmitted through ijma and tawatur e.g. Salah/ namaz, Roza, Hajj, Zakat ec.

Here I am referring to the first meaning, which is not independent religion, but uswa/seerah of the prophet which is based on religion.

And Quran tells us the basic morality (e.g. being good to people) was given in the nature of a human being.

• Shamir

Member February 27, 2022 at 8:50 am

Thank you Qureshi bhai.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register