Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Reason For Differences Of Opinion In Understang Hijab Directives

Tagged: , , ,

• Reason For Differences Of Opinion In Understang Hijab Directives

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on March 1, 2022 at 7:53 am

I have finally watched all the parts on the issue of veil but I have 1 question .

The question –

I am unable to understand 1 thing. When (pardah, cloak) was for a specific time then why It is being maintained till today?. Injunctions were for the wives of the prophets then why till today most of the scholars understood it incorrectly?. Muslims women were told to maintain cloack for a specific reason then why majority of people haven’t understood it yet?.

Now I have tried to answer myself. Here is it :-

Is this because , those who have understood it correctly was and is always less in number?. Maybe there was and is always a dominating nature within males so that’s why it is still being maintained?.

There was a time in India when hindu women also used to cover their faces . Their ideology is also very similar to the ideology of covering the face in Islam. They also used to believe not to show their faces to anyone except family members.

Not only India I think middle east and some asian countries also had such cultural thing and this cultural thing can also be a big reason for such opinions. Some people also used to consider Arabia as a country which is need to be followed by the muslims. So they took the cultural dress of Arabia as a part of religious dress.

Emotions, dominating nature, lack of applying knowledge in a correct way can also be a big factor.

I Can understand that today there are many interpretations but I want to know why this opinion is being maintained till today from that time by majority of people? What can be the reason by the majority of people to took and accept this opinion

The factors which I have mentioned, can this factors be the reason for the rise of such thoughts?.

The question is inshort “Reasons for the rise of such belief “?

As ghamidi sahab said, One Can ask such questions for satisfaction but not for argument on this issue. So I am not here for any argument . I accepted each and everything which he said but now I want to know this for my satisfaction.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Reason For Differences Of Opinion In Understang Hijab Directives

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 1, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Two factors for wrong understanding and practice:

Quran was not understood in its context. each verse is taken as a separate verse and trend to generalisation was more in fashion.

The Arab culture never asked women to hide their faces and stay at home. you can read a very good book written by Dr Mazhar Yasin Siddiqui, “Rasool Akram awr Khawateen Aik Samaaji Mutala” in which he tells that except for the prophet’s wives, other women used to participate in all the social and economic activities of that time, so much so, they held official posts too. and parda was not observed as it is now observed.

Parda as we see in now grew over time after interaction with other nations, whose elite used to keep their women hidden. ordinary women never observed this parda, nor do they no now.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 5, 2022 at 12:38 am

Thank youu sir..🙏🏻❤. Will surely read this book .

• Amara Khondekar

Member March 7, 2022 at 1:09 am

Sir, why Prophet’s wives did not take such roles. Were they 100% modest and others were less modest etc..

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 7, 2022 at 1:11 am

The issue is not about modesty. Ghamidi sahab has discussed all this in a very detailed manner. You can check his series on veil.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 12:52 am

*nor do they do now.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 7, 2022 at 1:07 am

Sorry to continue this discussion again but I have few questions related to your response.

1). How can we understand that quran was not understood in it’s context and trend to generalization was more in fashion at that time.

2). After how many years/centuries of rasool allah’s death this trend started.

3). When this understanding was rising, was their scholars who opposed it ?

4) does the reason you gave apply for all wrong understandings and practises? Like :- hell for non muslims, obligation to cover hair, and many extreme interpretations and understandings are there.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 2:46 am

For this you need to consult the Tafaseer of every age or at least the prominent ones. Tabri, Kashaaf, Kabeer, Rooh al Maani, Maarif ul Quran, Tafheem ul Quran etc.

Such trends were always present, even in the companions of the prophet. The great Mufssarin show all these trends in their exegeses. They refute an interpretation on the basis of context at times. but for some reasons, whose details are many and need extensive studies, contextual meanings started getting less attention.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 7, 2022 at 10:59 am

Okayy.. thank you so much for your response.

As m a student and also a medical aspirant so I don’t have much time in my everyday life to read all these tafseers atleast for now but with time I will try to give all these a read.

For this time being, I have concluded my understanding based on some factors. Let me know whether my conclusion is right or wrong. Here is it👇🏻:-

1). Quran was not understood in it’s context and each verse is taken as a seperate verse and trend to generalization was more in fashion.

2. This trend was always present even in the companions.

3. To know all these trends I have to go through the tafseer of all ages.

4. If I read the tafseer of prominent ones then I would come to know that how great mufassarin refute opinions on the basis of context at times in their tafseers .

5. Contextual meanings were ignored by mufassin because it needed extensive study so contextual meanings started to get less attention.

6. For wrong understanding of quran and practise this is the main reason.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 7, 2022 at 11:09 am

7. Other scholars were also present but were very less in number. They provided contextual meanings but did not get attention due to the above factors.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Point 5. Correction. By extensive study i mean that to know who contextual meaning started losing attention needs an extensive study. however to know the contextual meaning of the Quran does not require extensive study. it needs deliberation and the principle stance that since the Quran was compiled in a different order, other than the one it was revealed, so its sequence and order was of utmost important.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 8, 2022 at 12:10 am

So u mean that , If someone wants to know how contextual meanings started getting less attention then it needs an extensive study. By extensive study you mean , to read the tafseers of all ages to know how great muffassarin refute opinions on the basis of context at times .

To know the contextual meaning of quran it needs a proper order , sequence and ..right?

So many muffasrin in past and also in present ignored this method of understanding the quran in context. They may had different way of understanding the quran but If I read the tafseers then I would know that how at different times they refused to interpret the quran based on context.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 8, 2022 at 2:59 am

Yes.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register