Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Couple Questions On What Breaks The Fast

Tagged: 

• Couple Questions On What Breaks The Fast

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on March 6, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Asalamualaikum,

1.) I’ve seen it being noted that one should be careful when rinsing the mouth and nose during Ramadan. Some people will state boundaries, like make sure water does not reach the top of the throat or the nasal bone when rinsing the mouth and nose respectively. Previously, I never thought it mattered because the goal of rinsing the throat and nose is not to consume water and very little water would makes its way down the body, if any. However, how much caution do I need to use?

2.) When we eat sehri, there will likely be some morsels of food lodged between the teeth and between the gums and cheeks. Is this considered negligible due to hardship? Or is a person *required* to thoroughly rinse their mouth and floss their teeth prior to azaan? Which means I can’t wait until later in the morning?

Umer replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Couple Questions On What Breaks The Fast

Umer updated 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 23 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 1:05 am

The morsels or water stays in mouth after eating and drinking are negligible due to hardship.

Normal rinsing mouth and nose does not allow water to go down the throat.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 11, 2022 at 2:34 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad,

This makes sense. But I’m still confused on one point. Should I still be careful that water doesn’t reach my nasal bone and top of the throat when fasting? I guess some water would go through.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 12, 2022 at 12:49 am

Some water does penetrate to throat when we rinse mouth. This is negligible. If this bother you much You may avoid rinsing mouth and nose altogether during fast.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 12, 2022 at 10:16 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad.

Okay, if it is negligible then I will keep doing it anyway. When rinsing my mouth, I usually don’t bring the water back to the throat in any case. But just to clarify, this means that even if water goes to the nasal bone or above that, even then it is negligible and I don’t need to worry, correct?

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 14, 2022 at 2:30 am

Yes.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 14, 2022 at 5:25 pm

I just have one last question on this topic, if you don’t mind. So I know you said that rinsing the mouth is fine even in Ramadan. But is there any problem with gargles? Because in this case I think we take water far back into the throat; however, we still do not swallow it.

JazakAllah

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 14, 2022 at 8:12 pm

And just to clarify, I’m again asking if even that quantity of water that enters the throat is negligible.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 15, 2022 at 1:34 am

Gargling should be avoided in Ramada. it is not not necessary nor compulsory in any case to get purity.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 15, 2022 at 8:20 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad!

I was also wondering:

1.) If I unintentionally swallow water, is that okay? Will my fast break?

2.) How many times should I spit to remove remnants of water from my mouth?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 16, 2022 at 4:34 am

1. yes, it will break fast.

2. none.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 16, 2022 at 6:33 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad.

So if I accidentally swallow water this means I have to repeat the entire fasting day? Because it was not my intention but maybe during rinsing my mouth this happens.

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2022 at 5:19 am

It is my understanding that unintentional swallowing of water or vomit doesn’t break the fast. May be Irfan Sahab can shed further light on this matter.

https://youtu.be/WtEGbxBhiqk

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 20, 2022 at 3:12 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi,

So in this case, is Ghamidi Sahab speaking of a case in which a person remembers that they are fasting and they unintentionally swallow water, which Dr. Irfan Shahzad made mentioned?

• Umer

Moderator March 21, 2022 at 12:53 am

Ghamidi Sahab is talking about intentional swallowing of vomit in this video which can only happen if one remembers that they’re fasting and still swallow it intentionally.

• Umer

Moderator March 28, 2022 at 12:22 am

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 20, 2022 at 12:48 am

If one forgetfully drink or eat something, the fast is not affected but if one remembers that he is fasting and then some water goes down one’s throat, one’s fast is broken. This is my understanding.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 20, 2022 at 3:12 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 20, 2022 at 3:16 pm

I’m still confused about two points.

1.) I understand that gargling is something that should be avoided. However, does this mean that one should also avoid brining water back to the throat altogether? Or is gargling discouraged specifically because water is being ‘bounced’ off the throat and that increases the risk of swallowing water?

2.) I understand that the food morcels from sehri are considered negligible during the fast in of itself. The thing is, some food morcels are so small that they cannot be distinguished from saliva when the saliva is being swallow. However, in other cases there may be larger-sized morcels that a person can detect on their tongue or between the teeth. In this case, can a person swallow these morcels as well, or would it be expected the morcels be spat out? Sorry for getting into specifics again.

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 21, 2022 at 2:31 am

Here comes your discretion to decide of the morsel is too big not to be sallowed. Same goes for water.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm

My discretion is that it is okay to bring water back to the throat as long as I avoid gargling. Is that okay?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 21, 2022 at 8:59 pm

This is what You have to decide. Shariah is concerned that water should not go into throat.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 21, 2022 at 9:13 pm

But like you said earlier, the little bit of water that goes down the throat is considered negligible and won’t break the fast. Correct?

I just have to make sure that more than the negligible amount does not go down the throat.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 25, 2022 at 6:16 am

right

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register