Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Art(Painting And Sculpting) Depicting Other Religion's Gods And Goddess

Tagged: , ,

• Art(Painting And Sculpting) Depicting Other Religion's Gods And Goddess

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on March 6, 2022 at 9:12 pm

I always wanted to know about this but was ignorant to this question.

The question :-

1). What If a muslim is a painter , can he draw or paint anything which shows or depicts other religion’s gods and goddess. Famous Indian muslim painters like M.F hussain , tayyab mehta did numerous amount of such paintings.

I sometimes feel it’s wrong to paint such paintings and sometimes I feel there is no wrong until and unless the one who is creating it is not worshipping it.

In Indian art , the gods and goddesses of hindu religion are inherently present. Now such depictions are more likely a culture in Indian art . Even In Ancient greek art too.

2). Same question on sculpting. I’ve seen many muslim sculptors on Indian streets scultping hindu gods and goddesses. I’ve also seen many of them used to do their art by wearing a Islamic cap.

Though It is not like what anyone is doing or what I’ve seen must be right according to Islam . I am just mentioning it.

I see this thing in a same way like if anyone wants he can sell liquor until and unless he himself is not drinking it.

Now It is for a person to decide but if he does there is no prohibition on him until and unless he himself is not committing shirk .

Mohammed Zubair Alam replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Art(Painting And Sculpting) Depicting Other Religion's Gods And Goddess

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 7, 2022 at 1:01 am

God has forbidden polytheism. any act involving polytheism is forbidden. So drawing or sculpturing of deities is haram.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 7, 2022 at 1:24 am

Okay. But If something is being drawn like painting a society which shows people praying to idols or any thing. I mean not directly painting the dieties but rather showing a particular situation , society or a culture.

Also If someone gives an order to pain some diesties of their religion so a muslim should refuse it?. Example if a muslim painter is being told to copy ” the last supper by leonardo da vinci” then shall he refuse it?.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register