Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Haram Substances In Medicines

• Haram Substances In Medicines

Posted by Ali on March 14, 2022 at 11:08 am

Salam,

I am aware how some scholars have this concept of chemical transformation.
    I was going through the salafi website https://islamqa.info/en/answers/11941/using-medicines-manufactured-from-animal-products
    Q1)How would one interpret this narration cited in that link “Allaah does not put your cure in that which He has forbidden to you.”

To think that science wouldnt specificaly work for muslims doesnt make sense. To me it appears that it is a style of speaking and some “riwaya bil maanah” might have distorted things along the way. It appears to me that Allah does not want us muslims seek cure from impure substances. Just like in a verse it says Surah baqarah ayat 219 it says khamr has some manafi(probably referring to the benefits of donating to poors money earned during those nights of alcohol gatherings). Whilst on the other hand narrations might describe alcohol as [Muslim (1984) narrated that Taariq ibn Suwayd al-Ju‘fi (may Allah be pleased with him) asked the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) about wine and he forbade him or expressed his disapproval of his making it. He said: I only make it as a remedy. He said: “It is not a remedy; rather it is a disease.”]
    So I think the 1984 muslim isnt denying benefit of alcohol, but highlighting the important part and saying that its a disease as in causes people to become drunkards and lose their mind.

Q2)Now the problem would be if one has fever rather than something that is undebateably lifethreatening, and if one doesnt believe if the istihala or if it doesnt apply, then if one follows the salafi ruling I mentioned at the top. One might think “acha, it seems that headache tablet contains some haram ingredient, thus I should rather not eat it”? Which sounds dangerous.

I hope you can answer my questions as well as comment on the understanding I showed regarding interpreting those narrations.

Thanks

Umer replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Haram Substances In Medicines

Umer updated 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • Ali

Member March 14, 2022 at 12:27 pm

regarding my second paragraph’s first line first sentence. “To think….”
    what I mean is that it doesnt sound rational that a haram medicine would only cure non muslims and not cure muslims.

• Ali

Member March 14, 2022 at 3:05 pm

edit: Just wanted to add, by rational I mean what happens usually, how the universe works, otherwise yes Allah is AlQadir. Ghamidi sahab mentioned a narration that one should even ask Allah before buying shoelaces(meaning even for such a simple thing)

• Umer

Moderator March 15, 2022 at 4:31 pm

According to Ghamidi Sahab, things declared Haram in religion (whether of dietary domain or ethical domain) can only be consumed or committed (in medicine or otherwise) under principle of ‘iztarar‘, where one has to save his life or has to come out of extreme difficulty endangering his life (Please see for details: Discussion 50637 • Reply 50647). If alcohol is only used as a preservative or solvent in some medicines, then there would be no prohibition in that as well.

Secondly, if a haram dietary substance changes its chemical form, then its prohibition would also be lifted.

The narration quoted above regarding cure is right in accordance with Quran that no prohibited item should be consumed as a medicine (unless under iztarar or if the chemical form of that thing changes).

Please refer to the video below from 48:56 to 54:20 (specifically from 53:45 onward)

• Umer

Moderator March 15, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 41:12 to 50:38 (specifically from 47:06 onward)

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 49:41 to 51:14

• Umer

Please also refer to the video below from 29:30 to 30:33

• Umer

Please also refer to the link below from 30:22 to 32:18

ilm-o-Hikmat 03-04-2016

The discussion "Haram Substances In Medicines" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now