Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Destiny / Taqdeer Heaven And Hell In The Light Of Hadith Narrations

• Destiny / Taqdeer Heaven And Hell In The Light Of Hadith Narrations

Posted by Deleted User 4706 on March 16, 2022 at 1:53 pm

Hi I have a question about this Hadith. I want to know is going to heaven or hell Mubram destiny or is it Mu’allaq destiny? When the prophet PBUH says “there’s not one amongst you whom a seat in paradise or hell has not been allotted” does this mean I’m destined to go to hell or heaven and have no control. What does this Hadith mean ? I’m so confused please help me.

-Does it mean that it has been written as if x person does these x deeds he will go to heaven ?

-And if x person does these x deeds he will go to hell ?

This is the Hadith below:

“We were in a funeral in the graveyard of Gharqad when Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) came to us and we sat around him. He had a stick with him. He lowered his head and began to scratch the earth with his stick, and then said: There is not one amongst you whom a seat in Paradise or Hell has not been allotted and about whom it has not been written down whether he would be an evil person or a blessed person. A person said: Allah’s Messenger, should we not then depend upon our destiny and abandon our deeds? Thereupon he said: Acts of everyone will be facilitated in that which has been created for him so that whoever belongs to the company of the blessed will have good works made easier for him and whoever belongs to the unfortunate ones will have evil acts made easier for him. He then recited this verse (from the Qur’an): “Then, who gives to the needy and guards against evil and accepts the excellent (the truth of Islam and the path of righteousness it prescribes), We shall make easy for him the easy end and who is miserly and considers himself above need, We shall make easy for him the difficult end”

https://sunnah.com/muslim/46

Please help answer this. Thank you so much !

Deleted User 4706 replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Destiny / Taqdeer Heaven And Hell In The Light Of Hadith Narrations

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2022 at 7:32 am
  • Deleted User 4706

Member March 17, 2022 at 7:45 am

I don’t understand, how it relates to this Hadith can you please explain in relation to the Hadith please I will really appreciate it. And is heaven hell Mubram or muallaq destiny ?

Thanks a lot

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2022 at 8:13 am

They relate to the understanding of the matter in principle, please spare some time and go through all this material which deals with your question from a principle stand-point.

All such Ahadith are expression of Allah’s knowledge (‘Allah ka ilm‘) regarding each of his creations, but Allah doesn’t let his knowldge interfere with our freewill in matters for which we are to be held accountable. Mubram and Muallaq are not religious terms per se, therefore they are irrelevant in understanding this matter from an epistemological stand-point.

Allah’s knowledge is absolute, for Allah knows who will go to heaven and who will go to hell, but they will do so after choosing those paths out of freewill given to them.

With this point being kept in mind, Ghamidi Sahab has taught all these hadith and related ahadith in this matter in the following videos.

(Hadith-01)

Please refer to the video below from 30:56 to 41:15

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 17, 2022 at 8:09 am

Also is my example off the following correct ?

-Does it mean that it has been written as if x person does these x deeds he will go to heaven ?

-And if x person does these x deeds he will go to hell ?

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2022 at 8:14 am

(Hadith-02)

Please refer to the video below from 31:54 to 40:48

• Umer

(Hadith-03)

Please refer to the video below from 31:45 to 40:11

• Umer

(Hadith-04)

Please refer to the video below from 35:06 to 45:17

• Umer

(Hadith-05)

Please refer to the video below from 30:23 to 41:13

• Umer

Moderator March 17, 2022 at 8:15 am

(Hadith-06)

Please refer to the video below from 30:53 to 41:45

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 29, 2022 at 1:10 pm

So does this mean that man makes his own destiny to hell or heaven, to success and failure ? Apart from certain things that are predetermined like face, height, parents ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 29, 2022 at 1:32 pm

Yes absolutely. From a high level that’s the entire message of religion. We have been sent to this world for a test. Depending upon our behavior in this world we shall be granted either paradise or hell.

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 29, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Does this apply to life in this world as well ? If a man works hard can he become successful ? Does this belief in qadr/destiny place limits on mans success in this world and his ability to strive for a better future for his family and children ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 29, 2022 at 8:51 pm

While we should work hard and try to be successful in the affairs of this world, we must also understand that hard work is not the only pre-requisite for success. Consider a person who might decide to spend his days and nights in digging up a mountain in search of diamonds. He can work as hard as he wants but if the diamonds do not exist in the mountain he will never be successful in his venture.

As a matter of observation, success in this world is a function of intelligent decisions, hard work, persistence, patience, attitude towards failures, and a whole lot of other things. Even if everything lines up, the timing might not be right.

In affairs of this world, what’s required from us is that we make the best possible effort, because without effort there’s no success, and leave the results up to God.

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 30, 2022 at 3:16 pm

You don’t think that this belief in destiny is the reason many Muslim civilisations have become weaker in today’s society and the reason western civilisations have outshined Muslims in modern times. Many Muslims are not successful in this life, because they think they aren’t destined for success or don’t look after their health because they think they’re destined to be sick. Or they fail the exam and think they were destined to fail. Or they fail their business and think business is not for them and it’s not in their destiny but if they had tried harder and carried on and didn’t give up most off these things could have been avoided and they would be successful. This belief in destiny has almost been detrimental to the progression of Muslims. How do you reconcile this ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 30, 2022 at 4:25 pm

There might be some truth to it, but from experience I don’t find many Muslims think like that. Especially those who are educated, know very well that in this life success doesn’t come without struggle. The downfall of Muslims is a complex issue with many factors, and I don’t believe that reliance on pre-destination played any significant role in it.

The concept of determinism or lack of free will is also not an exclusively Muslim concept. This is an age old philosophical idea that spans many people across the globe regardless of their religion. In fact many of the scientists and philosophers in today’s world, some of them even being atheists, wrongly believe in determinism. In general, they claim that since this universe functions on the principle of causality and since human beings are a part of this universe, therefore human beings lack free will. Many of today’s popular physicalists use science to claim that that human beings lack consciousness and free will and that they’re simply robots who are slave to biochemical reactions within their bodies.

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 30, 2022 at 4:40 pm

So what is a simple position to take from all off this ?

Can it be said simply:

-man makes his own destiny.

-If man wants a good destiny he should preform good deeds and work hard

– man will go to heaven and hell on the basis of his deeds and be judged on judgment day on these deeds.

-God simply can see the future like a time traveller and in no way is god is causing those deeds, he’s simply seen the future.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 30, 2022 at 5:03 pm

I would put these points like this:

– One can achieve many things in this world within the constraints of the resources provided to him (e.g. intellect, health, opportunities, etc.) that he has no control over.

– One should always be sincere, work hard, learn from his failures, not be boastful about his successes, and never be disappointed in one’s own self or God.

– Man should aim to achieve the best in this world all the while keeping in mind the bigger goal of achieving the best in the hereafter.

– God’s knowledge is all-encompassing. One must understand that He has given us plenty of resources as well as free will to achieve many great things in this world. Regardless of what one achieves, it couldn’t have happened without the help of God. In addition to sincerity, dedication, and hard work, one should also pray to God for the best, because certain things are only given to us as a result of our prayers.

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 30, 2022 at 5:36 pm

That’s a really good answer.

But just to incorporate destiny and heaven and hell together I think it’s fair to say:

– some things are destined like the uncontrollable events and birth/death

-The rest man can makes his destiny.

-if he wants a good destiny then do good deeds that will also give him guidance in life or otherwise he will have a bad destiny if he sins.

-on Judgment day he will be judged for his deeds and held accountable.

-God knows the future he doesn’t cause it or force you to do your good or bad deeds. He simply knows the future like a time traveller and doesn’t cause you to go to hell or heaven.

That’s really how I understand the relationship between heaven hell and destiny I hope it’s in line with the general belief ?

• Deleted User 4706

Member March 31, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Is that assumption somewhat correct ?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register