Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Use Of Human Faeces In Treatment Of Diarrhoea

• Use Of Human Faeces In Treatment Of Diarrhoea

Posted by Deleted User 7113 on March 20, 2022 at 10:14 am

Recently much has been discussed about pig’s heart transplant in human. There is another form of treatment for chronic diarrhoea caused by germs known as clostridium. In this treatment stools (faeces) from normal persons are given to patients either by enema or orally in a capsule. Sometimes the germs (bacteria) isolated from stools of normal persons are placed in capsule and given to patients. I want to know Ghamidi Sahib’s opinion about this form of treatment which is being used in west for last several years. How far sharia may allow it. As stools are najis, napaak (نا پاک) and included in khabais (خبائث). Because I know it’s going to be common in near future and capsules containing altered stool will become easily available as other ampules and sachet containing bacteria are already available in Pakistan for treatment of diarrhoea. Of course those are not obtained from faeces but grown in laboratory.

Deleted User 7113 replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Use Of Human Faeces In Treatment Of Diarrhoea

Deleted User 7113 updated 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 21, 2022 at 3:01 am

The same ruling is for the case you mentioned. Filth too is not allowed unless it is inevitable ( iztiraar). However if it is altered such a way that it is no more stool, like only bacteria is extracted, it will be allowed being a different product which has nothing objectionable.

• Deleted User 7113

Member March 23, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Thanks. I know that there is no issue in using bacteria isolated from excreta or stool. What I am worried and puzzled is use of stool of normal man to be given as enema to a sick man. Or put a small amount of stool in gelatine capsule and give it orally as any other medicinal capsule or to give its solution through nasogastric tube through which normal food or milk is given. That’s the issue. In my opinion this can’t be accepted aesthetically, ethically even as iztirar because there is not 100% evidence that it will work, as any other medicine, though it works in majority of cases

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 24, 2022 at 10:06 am

Iztirar doesn’t have a requirement of 100% guarantee. Nothing in this world is 100% guaranteed. A person can decide on his own whether such a treatment is acceptable to him or not. If he accepts the treatment, it will have to be on the basis of iztirar.

• Deleted User 7113

Member March 26, 2022 at 4:51 am

May be you are right. Though this treatment has not come to Pakistan nor the disease chronic CDI is common in Pakistan. If it comes to Pakistan then as doctor I will advise this treatment if all other options of treatment have failed and it is acceptable to the patient trying to save the life of the patient. That’s my viewpoint.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register