Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Can Men And Women Be Friends?

• Can Men And Women Be Friends?

Posted by Aayan Zubairi on March 20, 2022 at 1:49 pm

Salam,

In Ghamidi sahib’s opinion is it possible for men and women to be (platonic) friends? In this circumstance suppose the two people in question view one another to be as though siblings and have no intention or even thought of viewing the person sexually. Would it be forbidden, disliked, or permissible with certain conditions?

Thank you.

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Can Men And Women Be Friends?

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 20, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Men and women can be friends, however, not in the same way that men can be friends with other men or women can be friends with other women. A safe distance should be maintained mentally as well as in demeanor, and the norms of gender interaction as described in the link below should always be upheld. The relationship should be purposeful, for example, you intended to marry your female friend or help her with work or school assignments rather than a relationship where you just hang out together, crack jokes, share secrets, etc.

Discussion 30301

• Aayan Zubairi

Member March 21, 2022 at 3:17 am

If the relationship isn’t “purposeful” yet the prescribed protocols and distances are followed would it be haram?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 21, 2022 at 9:24 am

In principle it won’t be haram, but I’m not sure if I understand what would be the motive of such a relationship or how it would be carried out. A lot of times we’re simply fooling our own selves so I would advise caution.

• Aayan Zubairi

Member March 21, 2022 at 9:32 am

The motive would be the same as any friendship with one’s own gender. A platonic relationship based upon an emotional connection, one would see the other as a sibling of sorts without the bond of blood yet bond of emotion.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 21, 2022 at 9:42 am

In that case the better terminology would be a sisterly relationship rather than a platonic friendship.

As far as the emotional connection, as I stated above, a safe mental distance must be maintained. With that restriction, an emotional connection can’t be created similar to with same gender friends.

• Aayan Zubairi

Member March 21, 2022 at 9:44 am

I suppose on that note, you and I differ. Nonetheless thank you for indulging my questions.

• MOHAMMAD MOINUDDIN HYDER

Member November 30, 2022 at 12:11 am

Sir when i asked the same to dr shehzad saleem

He answered that by observing the norms of chastity modesty

For example.

Guarding your gaze

Modest dress code

Refrain meeting in alone where there is know presence of third person

Don’t be lustfull in conversation

By observing all these norms you can continue to its distination

• MOHAMMAD MOINUDDIN HYDER

Member November 29, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Salam!

Sir some times you talk to some one with joy ness and even by laughing but really not with the intention of Lust but as good friend and you trust him and believe thats he or she won’t take miss advantage of yours..so you continue the conversation with good intentions some time it might be for specific reason or some time there no necessity but it’s just because you are a relative or work partner or the person you wanna marry… who ever he/she might be …

Is it a sin to to keep on talking without urging sexually disires?

Even without lust?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 30, 2022 at 12:45 am

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register