Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 2:239 – Offering Salah While Walking In Danger

• Quran 2:239 – Offering Salah While Walking In Danger

Posted by Muhammad Talha on March 24, 2022 at 12:15 pm

“if there is danger then pray walk or on drive….”

In this verse in what kind of danger is?

Umer replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Quran 2:239 – Offering Salah While Walking In Danger

Umer updated 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 24, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Any kind of danger that a person may feel. Following is the translation of the verse in question:

[This is the sharī‘ah of God. If you want to remain steadfast on it,] be watchful over your prayers, [624] especially the one which comes in the middle [625] [of the morning and evening prayers when it is not easy for you to take out time from your involvements], and stand before God devoutly [leaving aside everything].Then if you fear any danger, pray on foot or while riding, in whichever way you like, but when circumstances become secure, remember [626] God in the very manner [627] He has taught you, which you knew not.[628]

• Muhammad Talha

Member March 24, 2022 at 11:19 pm

So it means we can pray while walking only when you feel fear, not in other cases?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 24, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Please read my response again.

• Muhammad Talha

Member March 24, 2022 at 11:54 pm

I prayed during walking because i had to sit in the bus to travel. I told my uncle that I prayed during walk. He said, no you can’t pray during walk but only when you fear to loose your namaz time.

Did i do wrong?

• Umer

Moderator March 25, 2022 at 6:37 pm

The ‘illat‘ in this case is Usar (undue hardhip, undue difficulty), so whenever and wherever one feels occupied in such a sitiuation, one can follow this directive.

As a principle, the relaxation in case of ibadah is based on the principle of usar (‘ghair mamoli mushaqqat‘) and for other prohibitions (‘mohramat‘), the relaxation is based on ‘iztirar‘ (becoming impossible to do or when it becomes a matter of life and death).

Please see for further details:

Discussion 50637 • Reply 50647

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab to understand this specific issue from an epistemological stand-point, please refer to the video below from 1:54:08 to 1:59:41

• Umer

Moderator March 25, 2022 at 6:38 pm

To understand the matter in further detail, how ‘illat‘ is extracted from a Quranic directive, whose presence or absence determines that directive’s validity in other similar situations, please refer to the video below from 1:21 onward (specifically from 16:25 to 19:34)

The discussion "Quran 2:239 – Offering Salah While Walking In Danger" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now