Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Understanding Of Islamic Teachings By Common Person

Tagged: , , ,

• Understanding Of Islamic Teachings By Common Person

Posted by Deleted User 7113 on March 28, 2022 at 10:41 am

I just saw a clip of Ghamidi sb with Hassan Ilyas about research in deen by common man. His answer didn’t satisfy me fully. I agree with him that research can be done only by those who know methodology of research and not by an illiterate person. But what’s the problem if a common man reads translation of Quran by five different scholars or tafseer by five different scholars and accepts one of them or reject some of them according to his understanding of their narration. That’s not research. For example I accept Ghamidi sb’s stance on purdah but don’t accept his stance on zakat. I recall statement of renowned scholars that one will become gumrah if he reads Quran himself without guidance of scholars or teacher. If Ghamidi sb is trying to confirm similar statement then I don’t agree. Quran itself says that it has been revealed in easy narration. Is there any one to think.

I am not scholar of Arabic but learnt some basic Arabic so that I can understand meaning of Quran during its recitation. I read translation of different scholars, word by word and tafseer of Maulana Moudodi and one other scholars and found lot of difference in it.

My point is only that a common man who has understanding, can make his opinion after listening to different scholars and doesn’t have to follow blindly one scholar only. or accept his fatwa blindly because it has been said by a renowned scholar.

Thank you

Umer replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Understanding Of Islamic Teachings By Common Person

Umer updated 2 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 28, 2022 at 7:18 pm

What is your question?

Please understand that Ask Ghamidi is a Q&A platform. According to Ask Ghamidi Code of Conduct every post must start with an objective question. Also if you refer to a video clip, essay, book, etc. please always provide proper references.

This might be a good time to review the Ask Ghamidi Code of Conduct and adhere to the rules in the future.

• Deleted User 7113

Member March 28, 2022 at 8:37 pm

https://youtu.be/zKr0gJ5Us7U

Sorry Mr Faisal, I was not aware of this rule. I am giving link above. My question was hidden in last sentence. The question is, what is wrong if a common man with understanding and some knowledge, listens to more than one scholar and makes his own decision after listening them and accepting one’s stance and rejecting others if there is difference between the two. Instead of following blindly one so called scholar in each and every issue.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 28, 2022 at 9:03 pm

There’s nothing wrong with someone learning from several different scholars and accepting one of their opinions based upon the explanations that they provide. That’s exactly what Ghamidi sahab is trying to explain in this video. What he’s discouraging is the attitude of coming up with one’s own ideologies, interpretations, and applications without having the proper academic background in the subject matter.

• Umer

Moderator March 29, 2022 at 2:24 am

Following responses will help you understand Ghamidi Sahab’s above-referenced response with much clarity:

Discussion 45710 • Reply 45730

Discussion 45710 • Reply 45731

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register