Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Judgement Based On What I Believe To Be Right?

• Judgement Based On What I Believe To Be Right?

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on March 29, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I’ve noticed it being mentioned a couple times that if one believes something to be true in matters of religion, then they will be judged based off their understanding. I’m confused because if there are objective truths and rulings in religion then why does one’s understanding even matter? I can understand Allah SWT showing leniency towards someone who believed something to be true in full honesty, but ended up being wrong.

However, let’s assume there is someone that believes music to be haram. Sometimes they are unable to control their urges, which is why they listen to music every now and then – so in this case, I don’t understand why they would be judged on the basis of believing music to be haram, if it turns out that music is indeed permissible. Or would they be judged based upon a combination of factors in this case, which would include the fact that music is permissible, as well as the fact that they intended on committing sin (even though it was not a sin originally)?

Similarly, a person might be completely convinced that a heinous and violent crime is in line with Islamic values.

Hopefully this makes sense!

JazakAllah

Umer replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register