Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Reciting Out Loud In Qayamul Lail Salah (night Prayer)

Tagged: , ,

• Reciting Out Loud In Qayamul Lail Salah (night Prayer)

Umer updated 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Afia Khan

Member April 1, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Taraweeh prayer and Witr are actually Qayamul Lail prayers and Jahri (loud) if performed in congregation, no matter performed early night or last 1/3rd of the night.

• Zabit Khan

Member April 1, 2022 at 8:19 pm

What if performed alone at home then it will be jehri too?

• Afia Khan

Member April 1, 2022 at 10:01 pm

It is best to recite loud I think

• Umer

Moderator April 4, 2022 at 11:49 am

It is recommended to be in a moderate voice, neither too loud nor too silent, somewhere between sirri salah qirat and jehri salah qirat.

It is evident from various narratives that initially in this prayer, the Quran was at times recited loudly and at times silently. Later, the Almighty directed the Prophet (sws) to recite it in a medium pitch:

وَلاَ تَجْهَرْ بِصَلاَتِكَ وَلاَ تُخَافِتْ بِهَا وَابْتَغِ بَيْنَ ذَلِكَ سَبِيلاً

And in this night prayer of yours, pray neither with too loud a voice nor in a low one, but, between these extremes, seek a middle course. (17:110)

Consequently, the Prophet (sws) also directed his Companions (rta) to recite in this way. Abu Qatadah narrates that the Prophet (sws) told Abu Bakr (rta): “When I passed by you, you were reciting the Quran in a low tone [in the night prayer].” He replied: “I recite it to Him Who hears [even my] whispers.” The Prophet continued: “Raise your tone a little.” Then he told ‘Umar (rta): “When I passed by you, you were reciting the Quran in a very loud tone.” He replied: “I awake those who sleep, and make Satan run away.” The Prophet said: “Lower your tone a little.” (Sources: https://sunnah.com/abudawud:1329 , https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi:447)

The discussion "Reciting Out Loud In Qayamul Lail Salah (night Prayer)" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now