Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Investing In Companies That Earn Interest Directly Or Indirectly

• Investing In Companies That Earn Interest Directly Or Indirectly

Posted by Zuhair on April 4, 2022 at 9:49 pm

I asked this question before but was not convinced with the answer as I didn’t understand it. My question is that if I have bought shares in a company abroad is it ok? I was told that every company operates on interest even in Pakistan. In that investing in any company that takes interest, is it ok or not?

Umer replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Investing In Companies That Earn Interest Directly Or Indirectly

Umer updated 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator April 5, 2022 at 4:42 am

Directly investing in Banking Stock would be considered impermissible because currently, significant income of a Bank is from ‘Riba based activity‘.

Please see for details:

Discussion 66596

Investing in a company whose primary revenue-generating activity is permissible but it also earns interest through term deposits in a bank or other investements in banks as part of its financial management plan, would not be considered prohibited in a direct sense. Since primary activity of such a company is Halal, therefore, one can invest in such a company. However, if one finds a better investment alternative, where even this kind of interest earning activity can be gotten rid of, then it is recommended to prefer that alternative.

Please refer to the following response by Ghamidi sahab which addresses this point from a principle stand-point:

Discussion 62055 • Reply 62071

The discussion "Investing In Companies That Earn Interest Directly Or Indirectly" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now