Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Can Tax Paid In A Non-Muslim Country Be Adjusted Against Zakat

• Can Tax Paid In A Non-Muslim Country Be Adjusted Against Zakat

Posted by Mohammed Sajid Shaikh on April 5, 2022 at 7:36 am

I am living in a non-Muslims country, and from my salary Government is deducting some percentage of my salary. Can I count it as Zakat ??

Example: According to zakat law , i suppose to pay zakat Rs. 10000/- every year and Government is deducting Rs. 8000/- every year as per country law, this Rs. 8000/- Government is spending on Hospital, school, Social welfare and some other Government projects.

Kindly please guide and reply to me.

With Warm Regards,

Sajid Shaikh

Umer replied 2 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Can Tax Paid In A Non-Muslim Country Be Adjusted Against Zakat

Umer updated 2 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator April 5, 2022 at 8:10 am

Taxes you pay to the government can be adjusted against your Zakat obligation.

https://youtu.be/c2smJROWtY0

• Umer

Moderator April 5, 2022 at 8:10 am

Please see for further details:

Discussion 59197 • Reply 59198

• Muhammad Waheed

Member April 5, 2022 at 9:34 am

9-60. “Zakah expenditures are only for the poor and for the needy and for those employed to collect [zakah] and for bringing hearts together [for Islam] and for freeing captives [or slaves] and for those in debt and for the cause of Allah and for the [stranded] traveler – an obligation [imposed] by Allah. And Allah is Knowing and Wise.

I got above from Muslim Pro App. Translation uses the word Zakat in this verse but Arabic content uses the word Sadaqat. So does above verse refer to Zakat or sadaqat or both? If it is for Zakat then it is clear where Zakat should go towards, which is not specifically to government in the form of collecting tax.

May Allah give you reward for clarifying it.

Thanks,

• Umer

Moderator April 7, 2022 at 7:43 am

Sadaqat‘ is a broad term here which encompasses both obligatory Zakat and optional charity paid to the state. These verses (Quran 9:58-60) cover both these kinds.

Please refer to the following video for details (Specifically from 6:42 to 10:55):

https://youtu.be/EG61pB9AwqU?t=402

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 5, 2022 at 10:07 am

Zakat and Sadaqa are synonymous. Please see the following for more clarity on the heads of zakat:

Discussion 49509 • Reply 49515

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register