Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Does Inhaler Break Fast?

• Does Inhaler Break Fast?

Posted by Fahad Nawaz on April 19, 2022 at 1:45 am

Assalamoalaikum,

Can someone please share the link to question answer session where Javaid sb has answered below question?

Does inhaler break fast?

Fahad Nawaz replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Does Inhaler Break Fast?

Fahad Nawaz updated 2 years ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator April 20, 2022 at 5:59 am

“…Use of the inhaler and nebulizer while fasting cannot be regarded as prohibited because nothing enters the stomach in the process”.

(Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

(Source: http://www.shehzadsaleem.com/inhalers-while-fasting/)

• Fahad Nawaz

Member April 20, 2022 at 8:42 pm

JazakAllah for sharing Dr. Shehzad Saleem view.

There has been a Fatwa in Arab that it is not prohibited however there are so many scholars who say it is prohibited.

Is it possible to please request Javaid Sb to also share his opinion on this question? I can wait for his answer. JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator April 21, 2022 at 7:43 am

The same reply has been given by the official twitter page of Ghamidi Sahab which endorses it to be official position of Ghamidi Sahab as well:

https://twitter.com/JavedGhamidi/status/358902096143196160

But still if you want direct answer from Ghamidi Sahab, please feel free to register for the upcoming AG Live Q&A session and pose this question to Ghamidi Sahab directly:

Discussion 67333

• Fahad Nawaz

Member April 21, 2022 at 6:26 pm

JazakAllah brother for sharing this information.

I was looking for detailed view from Javaid Sb like normally he explains a bit detail behind decision. The live sessions are a bit difficult for me to attend as they happen about 230AM-3AM my time therefore I listen YouTube videos afterwards.

Only thing I wanted to understand is that “Few Islamic scholars share on YouTube that Asthama Inhalers throw very small amount of moisture and medicine which can hit throat and can go in stomach via saliva.

Upon investigation, I asked an inhaler user who also confirmed that they feel the Taste of medicine upon use and Some inhalers (3% survey) even complaint to doctors about soar throat after use of Inhaler. Doctors confirm that the reason can be an allergy to inhalers or the inhaler is not inhaled properly means medicine has hit mouth and throat area therefore causes irritation etc. Doctors suggest to them to rinse mouth after use.

Therefore if there is a feel in mouth of medicine then shouldn’t it go into stomach via Saliva if I don’t rinse my mouth.

Therefore the actual question becomes now:

Is the amount of moisture and medicine that we feel in the mouth after use of Inhaler not significant enough to impact fast?

I have written this question on twitter as well.

Also, I really appreciate your help in answering my questions as I know it is a time consuming task.

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator April 22, 2022 at 7:34 am

It is at best an ijtihadi matter and it is a kind of grey area where you will always find two conflicting views. Both perspectives have some merit to their argument. But I being a regular user of inhaler (even during fasting) is a proponent of Ghamidi Sahab’s viewpoint since neither am I doing any eating or drinking activity (using inhaler cannot be categorized as either) and secondly, neither is it effecting the spirit of Fasting (which is to not eat, drink or to take injections/supplements which serve the same purpose as eating or drinking). Also tasting a flavour is not something which renders a fast ineffective.

Hopefully Dr. Irfan Shahzad Sahab (@Irfan76 ) can also add his insight into this matter.

You can also send your question to Al-mawrid’s official query platform:

http://www.al-mawrid.org/auth

• Fahad Nawaz

Member April 22, 2022 at 9:20 pm

JazakAllah Brother for further explanation.

On a seperate note: I didn’t know that tasting a flavour does not impact the fast. SubhanAllah, every time I contact Javaid Sb or you or someone else in this forum, I learn more about my religion.

If you can please do me a favour and kindly share some more information on this topic “tasting a flavour does not impact fast”. Any video or book reference of Javaid sb. JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator April 24, 2022 at 8:20 am

There is no detailed discussion of Ghamidi Sahab available on this topic (to the best of my knowledge). But these matters are based on common sense keeping in mind the overall spirit and law of fasting.

Following are similar comments of Irfan Sahab in this regard:

Discussion 67204 • Reply 67230

• Umer

Moderator April 24, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Following video of Ghamidi Sahab sheds light on the matter of tasting any flavour and clarifies principle of fasting as well.

Please refer to the video below from 16:45 to 18:07

https://youtu.be/jaHNVt2E4rQ?t=1005

• Fahad Nawaz

Member April 24, 2022 at 11:01 pm

JazakAllah Brother. Alhamdulillah I have improved my knowledge of fasting after this discussion. Also, this toothpaste Vs Misvaak during Fasting was another thing I wanted to clarify which is now clear. JazakAllah

On seperate note: I have also found a very old video of Javaid Sb (even his moustache is black). He has directly answered the question about “tasting while fasting”.

Link is below.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 25, 2022 at 3:10 am

Tasting does not render the fast ineffective. when we rinse our mouth with water, the water may have some taste especially if it is salty. while doing miswaak, we can taste it. so tasting does not affect fasting. but one should avoid tasting food as described by Ghamidi sahib as it is very tempting and is not recommended unless necessary.

it is something food to swallow which invalidate fast. inhaler is not a food.

However smoking is not allowed although it is not food either, but one of the element of food, that is, enjoying and getting satisfaction like a food, is there in it, which makes it prohibited.

• Fahad Nawaz

Member April 25, 2022 at 3:51 am

JazakAllah brother.

The discussion "Does Inhaler Break Fast?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now