Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Hadith Where Prophet (SWS) Asked Aisha (rta) To Pay Zakat On Her Silver Rings

Tagged: ,

• Hadith Where Prophet (SWS) Asked Aisha (rta) To Pay Zakat On Her Silver Rings

Posted by Shakeel Ahmed on April 21, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Need your opinion about following hadees:

Narrated Abdallah bin Shaddad bin Al Had: We entered upon Aishah, wife of the Prophet صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم. She said The Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم entered upon me and saw two silver rings in my hand. He asked What is this, Aishah? I said I have made two ornaments myself for you, Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم. He asked Do you pay zakat on them? I said No or I said Whatever Allah willed. He said this is sufficient for you (to take you) to the Hell fire.

REFERENCE:

Sunan Abu Dawood 3: Chapter 164, Hadith 1565

This is against ghamdi sb’s opinion about zakaat

Umer replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Hadith Where Prophet (SWS) Asked Aisha (rta) To Pay Zakat On Her Silver Rings

Umer updated 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator April 22, 2022 at 8:42 am

To understand Ghamidi Sahab’s take on how to approach hadith corpus from an epistemological stand-point, you’re requested to please go through all the resources provided in the following response or at the very least, go through the text and videos provided under the heading “placement of Hadith in the overall framework of religion“:

Discussion 66135 • Reply 66162

The problem with such ahadith is that they lack their pretext and context and are an understanding of the narrator narrating them. Therefore, no permanent injunctions are to be extracted from Ahadith, instead they are application of injunctions available in Quran and Sunnah. Since we do not know the background as to from which silver such rings were made, whether that silver was kept as a form of savings etc. Therefore, nothing conclusive can be said in this regard since it is an application w.r.t a specific individual and specific situation whose complete background we do not know.

Please also refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 46493 • Reply 46494

Additionally, there are many ahadith which give a totally different picture:

It was reported with a saheeh isnaad that Aaishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) used to look after her brother’s orphaned daughters in her apartment. They had gold jewellery but she did not pay zakaah on it. (Muwatta Imam Malik: https://sunnah.com/urn/505900)

Al-Daaraqutni narrated with his isnaad from Asmaa bint Abi Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she used to adorn her daughters with gold jewellery, and she did not pay zakaah on it, (although its value was) nearly fifty thousand. (Sunan al-Daaraqutni, 2/109)

Abu Ubayd said in his book al-Amwaal: “Ismaaeel ibn Ibraaheem told us, from Ayyoob, from Naafi, from Ibn ‘Umar, that he would marry one of his daughters for ten thousand (as mahr), of which he would make her jewellery four thousand, and they did not pay zakaah on that.” (A similar report was narrated by al-Daaraqutni, 2/109; Abu ‘Ubayd in al-Amwaal, p. 540, no. 1276 (Harraas edn.); al-Bayhaqi, 4/138).

He said: “Ismaa’eel ibn Ibraaheem told us, from Ayyoob, from ‘Amr ibn Deenaar, who said: ‘Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah was asked, “Is there any zakaah on jewellery?” He said, “No.” He was asked, ‘What if it reaches (the amount of) ten thousand?” He said, “That is a lot.”’” (Narrated by al-Shaafa’i in al-Musnad (edited by al-Sindi), 1/228, no. 629; al-Umm, 2/41; also narrated by Abu ‘Ubayd in al-Amwaal, p. 540, no. 1275 (Harraas edn.); al-Bayhaqi, 4/138).

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register