Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Deducting Taxes Paid In Non-Muslim Countries From Zakat

Tagged: 

• Deducting Taxes Paid In Non-Muslim Countries From Zakat

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 24, 2022 at 4:23 pm

As long as the state to whom you pay your taxes use it for the benefit of its citizens (as it is in the case of U.S. government), you can deduct taxes paid from your total zakat obligation. For details, please watch:

https://youtu.be/c2smJROWtY0

• Deleted

Member June 5, 2022 at 5:45 am

Salaams,

It would be really helpful to make sure that the response is concise and clear. I have also watched the videos and there’s no further explanation or insight into this extremely important topic.

The response to the question, is Zakat payable once tax is paid in a non-Muslim country appears to be that Zakat is not payable if you have paid more than your zakat amount in taxes to a non-Muslim government. I quote the above response from the Ghamidi Centre: “As long as the state to whom you pay your taxes use it for the benefit of its citizens (as it is in the case of U.S. government), you can deduct taxes paid from your total zakat obligation”.

I have researched further and am yet to find a similar position by other Muslim scholars. I also have many other friends who have questioned this response or became confused.

Taxes are also paid towards a number of other items by governments, including travel, accommodation and food for politicians, government employees and also military. US taxes are also paid to Israel amongst others for military needs. These examples are not permissible for Zakat expenditure, unless I am missing something. Further, no one knows how any of our “Zakat” being paid in taxes would directly be paid to Zakat-permissible items.

I would be grateful if you could please shed some further light on this and make the response crystal clear. I think it would also be very important to release a further video regarding this.

May Allah swt guide us on the straight path.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator June 5, 2022 at 11:30 pm

The heads of zakat are clearly stated in Quran verse 9:60. These include: for the benefit of the poor and the needy, salaries of employees of the state, political expenditures in the interest of Islam and the Muslims, towards liberation from slavery, helping people suffering economic losses and those who or are in debt, for serving Islam and the welfare of the citizens, and for helping travelers.

Taxes in all countries of our time serve one or more of these heads in varying degrees. They help the poor and the needy (e.g. medical and food assistance programs), pay salaries of the state employees and armed forces, help people with economic losses (e.g. disaster relief programs), help travelers (roads, rest areas, etc.), and general welfare of the citizens (schools, libraries, parks, etc.). Taking the holistic picture into consideration, it’s very evident that taxes in most countries of our time largely serve the same purpose as zakat, hence taxes paid in those countries can be deducted from one’s total zakat obligation.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register