Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Backbiting

Tagged: ,

• Backbiting

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 17, 2020 at 2:55 pm
    • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 17, 2020 at 3:02 pm

But then so many things come under backbiting we can t even talk about anyone else when they’re not present.

What about cracking jokes? What if someone is over-sensitive to jokes?

What if I say I don’t like the way he spoke or I don’t like what he was wearing?

Eg on the whatsapp group one brother called Ghamidi sahab not very bright- is that backbiting?

Then removing him and saying that he was not of a good character and being rude- is that backbiting?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 11:15 am
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 20, 2020 at 3:35 pm

“But then so many things come under backbiting” Unfortunately, yes. Commandments should never evaluated on the basis of apparent results – they must be evaluated on the basis of evidence and sound reasoning.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Yes bhai sorry I came across that way. Are all the examples I have forms of backbiting?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 20, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Ahmad sahab generally yes, but it also depends. I have childhood friends who just do not mind no matter what jokes I crack about them in their absence or presence. I don’t mind their jokes either. We just have that kind of a strong bond. As humans we intuitively know when we’re crossing the line. And if we unknowingly commit a mistake and it’s pointed out, we should apologize in no uncertain terms. This is my sincere opinion.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 20, 2020 at 3:51 pm

So as a rule of thumb and in reference to the Quranic verse which talks about assumption- can we say backbiting is anything that involves assumption and an attack on someone’s character- unless you know they would not mind eg in the case of friendship.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 20, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Of course one should not assume, and if they must, they should give the person the benefit of the doubt. But backbiting has more to do with one’s intent. As a rule of thumb I think when we are talking about others behind their back, we need to make sure that it’s true and that what we say is necessary for the conversation.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register