Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Self Identity In Jannah

Tagged: ,

• Self Identity In Jannah

Posted by Yusuf Al Kurdi on April 30, 2022 at 5:46 pm

Humans change considerably from one week to another, one year to the next. They gain new experiences, change minds, lose memories, and so forth. So, if I was to enter Jannah would I even be the same person as I am now after 1 million years, or maybe 1 trillion years, let alone infinity? Would I even have the same interests, and memories (how would I even store my memories for infinity?) In other words, would the person I am here right now be the same in the Akhirah? I understand we would be purified etc, but how is it possible that I as an individual with my own self identity and interests remain as the same person I am now in Jannah after say 1 trillion years and thousands of new experiences later, how will I retain my self-identity? Thanks.

Umer replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Self Identity In Jannah

Umer updated 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Yusuf Al Kurdi

Member April 30, 2022 at 5:48 pm

Also, this is quite important because I’d like the person who enjoys paradise to be the same person who by God’s blessings was promised it, and if I am to unfortunately experience Jahannam I would want myself to be held accountable for it rather than some other version of me that technically doesn’t even share the same memories or mindset as me etc.

• Umer

Moderator May 1, 2022 at 6:52 am

Please refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 66661 • Reply 66703

_______

Following threads answer questions on Jannah & Jahannum in much detail:

Discussion 38044

Discussion 43411

• Yusuf Al Kurdi

Member May 1, 2022 at 7:27 am

Is there a way to find an English translated script of this? If not I’ll hopefully be able to translate into English elsewhere.

Thanks for your help either way and God bless.

• Umer

Moderator May 1, 2022 at 8:26 am

There is no English Transcript available at the moment, currently GCIL videos are in the process of getting translated in the form of English Subtitles being added to GCIL videos and soon enough hopefully, we will have English Closed Captioning done on these videos as well.

The gist of the response is that personality (‘Shaksiyat‘) of the person will remain the same, because if it were to be changed then whole concept of Qiyamah becomes redundant. But it is this physical body that we have which will be replaced with new body, free of all bodily imperfections. Quran also refers to this fact, please see:

Discussion 64301 • Reply 67867

• Yusuf Al Kurdi

Member May 1, 2022 at 8:36 am

Thanks a lot really appreciate it!

God bless.

• Noor Fatima

Member May 1, 2022 at 6:26 pm

@UmerQureshi Do you think all people in this world have a shakhsiat or personality? What about people with personality disorders, they don’t have a fixed personality. What will happen to them?

• Umer

Moderator May 2, 2022 at 6:39 am

This personality/Shaksiyat refers to divine process of Nafkh-e-Ruh (‘Nafs‘) which provides consciousness to the person (moral sense i.e. ability to differentiate right from wrong, aesthetic sense and ability to logically infer and deduce information and principles). Personality disorders that you might be referring to in terms of psychology do not deprive person of these factors and are treatable clinically. But as a principle, if someone was deprived of this ability to establish this link between his nafs and his physical body, then there is no accountability for the person, that person will be sent to Jannah. The problem lies in establishing link between nafs and the physical body, for which brain plays a critical role in establishing that connection. This doesn’t mean that Nafs of the person is defective.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register