Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Monthly Allowance Of A Wife

Tagged: ,

• Monthly Allowance Of A Wife

Posted by Maryam Anzar on May 4, 2022 at 8:41 am

If the wife isn’t working so that she can give full attention to the family and her husband is earning enough to fulfil the needs of the family, can she ask some amount for her personal use like any certain amount mutually set of her husband’s salary of what she’s not answerable to her husband?

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Monthly Allowance Of A Wife

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Haseeb Sheikh

Member May 4, 2022 at 8:52 am

I think yes. But im not a scholor. Lets see what they reply

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 4, 2022 at 11:47 am

The husband is obligated to provide for his wife and the children. There’s of course nothing wrong in mutually agreeing upon reasonable monthly allowance for the wife. However, if the husband is already fulfilling all of her needs and wants according to his status then the wife should be mindful of not making any unreasonable demands. Whatever the husband and the wife mutually agree upon in this regard with justice should be acceptable.

The condition of being not answerable is technically not impermissible but it might create mistrust between the couple. We should be mindful of not stipulating any unnecessary conditions in this kind of mutual agreements. If the wife is not doing anything with her allowance that she shouldn’t then I’m not sure how such a condition helps her anyway.

• Maryam Anzar

Member May 5, 2022 at 10:37 am

Ok the question was for financial security of a woman. Wife had left her career for her. He’s providing everything but not in cash. And wife feels difficult to always ask for her personal use. She feels insecure that she’s not working and God forbid something bad happens or her husband refuses to provide her at one stage, she will not have any savings. So, in islam is there anything like financial security that husband is bound to give like pocket money or something.

• Amara Khondekar

Member May 5, 2022 at 12:39 pm

How giving pocket money will work as a saving? Husband is only bound to take care of necessities. Giving gifts and all are Sunnah.

Thats why you should ask good amount of Mehr.

Also if he gifts you jewelry properly it belongs to you.

You have valid point. But ask him if you can do some part time work. Only you can take of care yourself. Please don’t be another Shah Bano…

• Maryam Anzar

Member May 6, 2022 at 7:16 am

Well avoid judging me without knowing and comparing with Shah bano or anyone. And you are right about Mehr etc. It’s not about you and me. I asked about a woman who was married for 40 years and she neither worked nor asked for anything other than the needs of her family and when kids grown big and got married the husband decided to marry another woman and left her with nothing. At her time, Mehr was very minimal and they were from a middle class. So that’s why I thought to ask what does islam say on this?? Wife can take divorce and she’ll be empty handed or accept the other woman which will ruin her mental peace. If she didn’t do part time or full time work and her worth is zero after giving 40 years of her life for the family whereas her husband had his career and has enough money for himself then it’s kind of unfair with her. So what steps can girls take? What does islam tell us on this?

• Amara Khondekar

Member May 6, 2022 at 8:23 am

Sister, I don’t know you. I didn’t judge you. I said don’t be like her in future(maybe).

Regarding your question, in my opinion it’s best to stay married and ruin mental peace and cry. That’s comparatively better.

Also, in this particular situation after 40 years hope she will have sons to take care.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 5, 2022 at 12:47 pm

I understand. As I alluded to before, the responsibility of providing for the wife and the family has been squarely placed upon the husband. This also includes wife’s personal expenses. Some husbands might pay for these things without a pre-determined monthly allowance, while others may decide to pay a reasonable fixed monthly amount. I have come across families where the wife has a credit card and within reasonable limits she spends at her discretion but doesn’t get any monthly allowance. I also know families where the wife gets a fixed monthly amount but nothing above and beyond that. As long as the financial needs of the family are being adequately met in any which way, then the husband is not obligated to anything additional.

Apart from rights and responsibilities, the husband and wife share a relationship. The wife should be able to share her apprehensions with her husband and convince him to give her a reasonable monthly allowance in addition to providing for the family, if that’s what she wants. If they can reach a mutual agreement in that regard, there’s nothing wrong with that. She can also convince her husband to invest in a joint asset or a life insurance policy, for example. Such things should be dealt with according to wisdom rather than relying on laws.

• Haseeb Sheikh

Member May 5, 2022 at 2:15 pm

Well I think what sister Marayam asked for in her first question . easy simple answer would be yes wife can . She should and husband should also Happily.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 5, 2022 at 2:25 pm

In reference to the original question I’m unaware of any such obligation placed by God.

• Haseeb Sheikh

Member May 6, 2022 at 1:49 pm

Yes this i really dont know .

But i think by giving meher to my wife I basically give a token of this decleration that I will give you for life some amount for you as a person . And that will be urs. And then i will have no right on that part of money.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 6, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Mehr is a token of one’s intention to take on the financial responsibility of his wife and the family that the couple is about to start.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register