Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Prophet Muhammad's Father In Hellfire

• Prophet Muhammad's Father In Hellfire

Posted by Mubeena Imtiaz on May 4, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Salaam, can some please explain me the significance of this hadith. It just sounds wrong to me.

Verily, a person said: Messenger of Allah, where is my father? He said: (He) is in the Fire. When he turned away, he (the Holy Prophet) called him and said: Verily my father and your father are in the Fire.

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا عَفَّانُ، حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ ثَابِتٍ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ، أَنَّ رَجُلاً، قَالَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَيْنَ أَبِي قَالَ ‏”‏ فِي النَّارِ ‏”‏ ‏.‏ فَلَمَّا قَفَّى دَعَاهُ فَقَالَ ‏”‏ إِنَّ أَبِي وَأَبَاكَ فِي النَّارِ ‏”‏ ‏.‏

Sahih Muslim 203

In-book reference : Book 1, Hadith 406

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Prophet Muhammad's Father In Hellfire

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 4, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Whenever reading hadith narrations, it’s important to keep in mind that regardless of the authenticity, they’re still narrated by people on their own account. Hence, there’s always a chance that someone heard, understood, or narrated something incorrectly. Also since most narrations are missing proper context, it’s not easy for a common person to understand them.

If the narration in question means what it’s apparent meaning suggests, it only shows that God’s justice is truly unbiased. As also evident from the story of Noah SAW in the Quran, simply having family ties with an apostle of God is not enough. We don’t know for certain how God might have tested Prophet Muhammad’s SAW’s father and how he might have responded.

Quran 11:42-46:

That ship began to take them between waves as high as mountains and Noah called upon his son who was [standing] apart [at a small distance from him]: “Son! Board with us and do not be with these disbelievers.” He replied: “I shall presently take refuge in some mountain that will protect me from this water.” Noah said: “There is no one to save today from God’s directive except to whom He shows mercy.” In the meantime, a wave came between the two and he was also among those drowned… Noah called on his Lord and said: “Lord! My son is from my family and no doubt that true is Your promise and among the judges you are the greatest.” God said: “Noah! He is not from your family. He is an extremely wretched person. So, do not ask me about which you have no knowledge at all. I urge you to not be among those who are overwhelmed by emotions.”

The discussion "Prophet Muhammad's Father In Hellfire" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now