Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Does Zakat Have To Be Paid Each Year?

Tagged: 

• Does Zakat Have To Be Paid Each Year?

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on May 25, 2022 at 8:45 am

I am expecting a near relative needing lot of help in the next few years. If I give them Zakat for only one year when they are in need, the amount won’t be sufficient to meet their needs. Can I collect and save Zakat for a few years and pay them all together when they need it. In this way the amount will be sufficient to make a difference in their life.

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Does Zakat Have To Be Paid Each Year?

Faisal Haroon updated 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator May 25, 2022 at 10:25 am

In principle, zakat on production becomes due as soon as the production is made, for example a crop is harvested or a paycheck / service fee is received. Zakat on savings / assets is due once a year. If the due date is determined by the state then one is obligated to pay on that date, otherwise they can arbitrarily pick a day of the year. Most people pick a day in Ramadan.

In cases where zakat is not collected by the state, one can make an ijtihad to delay the payment of zakat. However, it’s important to understand that it’s a commitment with God that must be fulfilled. Also please bear in mind that if a state collects tax instead of zakat, the tax amount can be deducted from the zakat obligation.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register