Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Dream Of Prophet Muhammad (sws) Where He Saw Being Of God

• Dream Of Prophet Muhammad (sws) Where He Saw Being Of God

Posted by Aayan Zubairi on May 25, 2022 at 6:21 pm

Salam,

I was curious to find out what the Farahi school says about the following hadith of Tirmidhi, Mishkaat, Musnad Ahmad etc.

Narrated Mu’adh bin Jabal [may Allah be pleased with him]: “One morning, the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) was prevented from coming to us for Salat As-Subh, until we were just about to look for the eye of the sun (meaning sunrise). Then he came out quickly, had the Salat prepared for. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) performed the Salat, and he performed his Salat in a relatively quick manner. When he said the Salam, he called aloud with his voice saying to us: ‘Stay in your rows as you are.’ Then he turned coming near to us, then he said: ‘I am going to narrate to you what kept me from you this morning: I got up during the night, I performed Wudu and prayed as much as I was able to, and I dozed off during my Salat, and fell deep asleep. Then I saw my Lord, Blessed and Most High, in the best of appearances. He said: ‘O Muhammad!’ I said: ‘My Lord here I am my Lord!’ He said: ‘What is it that the most exalted group busy themselves with?’ I said: ‘I do not know Lord.’ And He said it three times.” He said: “So I saw Him place His Palm between my shoulders, and I sensed the coolness of His Fingertips between my breast. Then everything was disclosed for me, and I became aware. So He said: ‘O Muhammad!’ I said: ‘Here I am my Lord!’ He said: ‘What is it that the most exalted group busy themselves with?’ I said: ‘In the acts that atone.’ He said: ‘And what are they?’ I said: ‘The footsteps to the congregation, the gatherings in the Masajid after the Salat, Isbagh Al-Wudu during difficulties.’ He said: ‘Then what else?’ I said: ‘Feeding others, being lenient in speech, and Salat during the night while the people are sleeping.’ He said: ‘Ask.’ I said: ‘O Allah! I ask of you the doing of the good deeds, avoiding the evil deeds, loving the poor, and that You forgive me, and have mercy upon me. And when You have willed Fitnah in the people, then take me without the Fitnah. And I ask You for Your love, the love of whomever You love, and the love of the deeds that bring one nearer to Your love.'” The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “Indeed it is true, so study it and learn it.”-Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3235

I’ve been unable to find this narration on the ghamidi app therefore I would be grateful if someone could point me towards Ghamidi sahab’s or his students views about this hadith.

Umer replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Dream Of Prophet Muhammad (sws) Where He Saw Being Of God

Umer updated 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator May 27, 2022 at 2:52 am

There’s no work available on this Hadith in the Hadith Project to the best of my knowledge. If you could pin-point any specific point concerning you in this narration, then it can be responded to appropriately.

• Aayan Zubairi

Member May 27, 2022 at 7:02 am

I’d say the concerning aspect of this narration is the anthropomorphic characteristics attributed to God.

For instance in another variant of this narrated reported by Al Bayhaqi, it contains the additions that God (May He forgive me) has “curly hair, fair skin, and wears green robes”. This addition was however classed as inauthentic by many.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 27, 2022 at 9:32 pm

This is allegorical presentation of being of God in the dream. Even impersonal things are personified in dreams. It doesn’t mean that the Prophet saw actual person of God.

• Umer

Moderator May 28, 2022 at 9:19 am

To understand dreams, their mechanism and their reality, please refer to the following thread:

Discussion 46546

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register