Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Is Rejecting An Attribute Of God Kufar?

Tagged: ,

• Is Rejecting An Attribute Of God Kufar?

Posted by Aayan Zubairi on June 22, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Salam,

In Ilm ul Kalam, sects such as the Jahmites are held as “kuffar” for their rejection of Divine attributes. They granted were extremists and held that Allah “has no attributes”.

My question stems from the debate of masala khalq ul Quran, is he who regards the Quran to be created guilty of Kufr? Because most scholars believe he is rejecting an attribute of God.

For example, Sufyan ath Thawri is reported to have said, “The Qurān is the speech of Allāh (azza wa jall) and he who says that it is created then he is a kāfir, and he who doubts in his kufr then he is a kāfir.” [Abdullāh Ibn Al-Imām Ahmad in Kitāb As-Sunnaah, 20]

Therefore is rejecting an attribute of God kufr, specifically saying that the “Quran is the created speech of God” kufr?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Is Rejecting An Attribute Of God Kufar?

• Ahsan

Moderator June 22, 2022 at 11:28 pm

• Aayan Zubairi

Member June 22, 2022 at 11:38 pm

I agree with Ghamidi sahab and for once the majority of Muslims (Ashariyya and Maturiddiya) do as well. But my question is, in Ghamidi sahab’s opinion would somebody adopting the same opinion as the Muatzilla amount to kufr? As in almost everyone’s opinion, the Muatazilli position is kufr.

• Ahsan

Moderator June 23, 2022 at 6:40 am

Ghamidi sb has done a comprehensive review of their Aqaid you can watch it here. If they have some wrong concept we will try to correct it though. I dont think personally they had kufrana aqaid but exaggerated philosophical thinking. I will appreciate if you can give example which you consider deviant opinion.

• Aayan Zubairi

Member June 24, 2022 at 1:30 am

The thing is when the Muaztilites say, “kalam isn’t an attribute of God.” They’re denying an attribute of God albeit on the basis of ta’veel. However from the arguments stated by Ghamidi sahab in the following video,

From 59:20 1:04:27

From the arguments stated by him above regarding the Christians when proclaiming Syedna Isa as God were actually rejecting God. I was wondering whether in Ghamidi sahab’s opinion rejecting an attribute amounted to the same conclusion. As when one is rejecting an attribute of God, they are in essence negating God.

• Ahsan

Moderator June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am

The timeline you provided talks about Khatame nabuwat.

Anyways, as Ghamidi sb said in first video they didnt deny attribute of God but said manifestation of that attribute has happened later. Hence Quran is created. They didnt deny attribute but the manifestation.

Maybe @Irfan76 sb can give better response to this question

• Aayan Zubairi

Member June 24, 2022 at 10:45 pm

As it happens, my understanding of what the Muazilites were saying was wrong. They didn’t deny kalam being an attribute they said Allah does speak but through creation. So they affirmed speech being an attribute but denied it being with Allah ie. Denied kalam e nafsi.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 26, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Mutazilla did not deny any attribute of God. Moreover, when one make a Taveel, it saves one from blatant kufr.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register