Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Concept Of Mustahab In Islam And Which Acts Constitute It

Tagged: ,

• Concept Of Mustahab In Islam And Which Acts Constitute It

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on June 27, 2022 at 3:42 am

How do we conclude certain acts to be Mustahab?.

What is the basis of every mustahab acts?

Like, nafl namaz before and after fard namaz are mustahab acts but not necessary. Whereas, circumcision is a mustahab act but should necessarily be followed by every muslim.Also there are certain mustahab acts which are not absolute but rather relative.

What is the concept of Mustahab?.

Umer replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Concept Of Mustahab In Islam And Which Acts Constitute It

Umer updated 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 16 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator June 27, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Please refer to the video below from 05:30 to 06:28

https://youtu.be/eEFNfco9e9M?t=330

• Umer

Moderator June 27, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Please also watch:

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member June 28, 2022 at 4:54 am

Thank you very much sir.

But I think all the mustahab acts that are excluded from the list of sunan in meezan, are not from the sunnah, right?

• Umer

Moderator June 28, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Some mustahab acts are independent Sunnahs themselves, while some fall under nafal category of an already farz Sunnah.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member June 29, 2022 at 2:38 am

Well, what about the concept of mustahab in the dress code , or changing the cloth of impurity instead of just washing the affected area…etc? There are many such mustahab acts that I think are not from the sunnah.

• Umer

Moderator June 29, 2022 at 8:56 am

Overall they can be categorized as independent Sunnah themselves (e.g. circumcision, eating with right hand, Saying al-Hamdulillah after sneezing etc.); or extension/application of an already prescribed Sunnah or Quranice Directive (e.g Mustahab in dress code, Nafal Salah, Animal sacrifice in days other than Ayam-e-Tashriq, cleaning impurity with new clothes etc.).

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member June 30, 2022 at 5:41 am

So the latter acts are not sunnah themselves, right??..

And I think one can argue in some of the acts which are not sunnah themselves. Like one can say that Cleanliness is to be attained and now how one achieves it is totally up to the individual’s sense of purity. For one, changing cloth can be a way to maintain cleaningness and for one only to wash the affected area.

• Umer

Moderator July 1, 2022 at 8:14 am

That is correct for both points.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member September 4, 2022 at 11:29 am

Sir, I have 1 question and also want reclarify some points all togethor, just tell me wheather I have perfectly understood it or not.

The question:-

1)Are both “nafl namaz before and after fardh Namaz” and “nafil namaz at other times” not independent sunnah?

Points to clarify:-

1) There are only two authority in religion and that is the Quran and the independent Sunnah.

2)Now in this Independent sunnah some practises are fardh and some are mustahab.

3)But every mustahab acts is not an independent sunnah. Some acts are extensions of an already prescribed sunnah or Quranic directive.

4)And in these mustahab acts(which are not sunnah themselves) one can have disagreements in claiming some acts(not all) to be mustahab or not unlike independent sunnah. I have already given the example and you agreed too.

5) And mustahab acts like:- nafil namaz, animal sacrifice on other days. Such acts can’t have disagreements because such acts are direct religious acts and there is no room for a person to disgaree.

• Umer

Moderator September 6, 2022 at 12:45 am

1) Correct.

2) Correct.

3) Correct.

4) Correct.

Mustahab Acts which are not independent Sunnah themselves, can be extracted from Ahadith (uswa of Prophet (sws)) and sometimes a scholar may also conclude certain acts to be mustahab, considering the overall framework and spirit of religion.

5) There can be disagreement among scholars, not on their nature usually, but on their placement in religion. Like Ahnaf consider some mustahab acts to the level of ‘wajib‘ (a term coined in their fiqh).

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member September 8, 2022 at 4:19 am

4) but in some mustahab acts(which are not sunnah themselves) , a layman muslim can also form his opinion on the basis of sources and then disagree in some of the matters, right?.

For example, I can say that changing cloths to clean impurities will depend on the sense of purity of a particular person and is not mustahab. Purification is mandatory and how one achieves it will depend on the person’s sense of purity.

A layman can disagree in this matter because it gives room for subjectivity. Like sense of purity is entirely subjective and a common muslim may disagree with a scholar and there is no wrong in his disagreeing cause on this matter the religion itself gives room for subjectivity by just saying to maintain cleaningness.

5)Do the Hanafis also claim some mustahabs acts (which are not sunnah themselves) to be wajib?.

Cause I said about those mustahabs act which are not sunnah themselves but are direct religious activity , such as animal sacrifice on days other than ayam e tashreeq and etc. There can be no disagreement in such matters.

And animal sacrifice on eid al adha is an Independent sunnah which is “Wajib” according to Hanafi and “Mustahab”according to Ghamidi sahab.

• Umer

Moderator September 8, 2022 at 4:47 pm

4) Yes, there is room for this

5) Some Nafal Salah are considered Wajib in Hanafi epistemology, the ones which they categorize as Sunnat-e-Mokada. Similarly, they also consider Witr Salah Wajib.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member September 9, 2022 at 8:42 am

Thank you for all your responses.

I have one last thing to clarify and that is:-

Are both “nafil namaz before and after fardh namaz” and “nafil namaz at other times” not Independent sunnah?.

• Umer

Moderator September 10, 2022 at 1:18 am

No they are not.

A new Sunnah is not constituted by merely observing some Sunnah in an optional manner. We know that the Prophet (sws) while obeying the Quranic directive: وَمَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيْرًا فَإِنَّ اللّهَ شَاكِرٌعَلِيمٌ (he who does a virtue of his own will, God accepts it and is all-knowing, (2:158)) offered optional prayers besides the obligatory ones, fasted optionally besides the obligatory fasts of Ramadan; however, none of these optional acts of worship constitute a new Sunnah. The way the Prophet (sws) showed diligence in worshipping over and above what was required of him can definitely be termed as a good example that he set for his followers; however, it cannot be regarded as an independent Sunnah.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member September 10, 2022 at 5:04 am

I had this confusion because in the video you shared, Ghamidi used the analogy of the preferableness of circumcission with the preferableness of nafl namaz before and after Fardh namaz.

So, it’s not like that a mustahab act has to be independent sunnah to be more preferable,right?

And the mustahab acts like nafil namaz, nafil fast, nafil animal sacrifice are not independent sunnah but in such acts there is no room for disagreement about not claiming such acts to be mustahab or anything because such acts are direct religious activity. Like one can’t say that such acts are not even mustahab. One can argue whether to claim some acts to be “wajib” or “mustahab” but can’t say that such acts are not even mustahab, right?

• Umer

Moderator September 12, 2022 at 1:29 am

In accordance with Quran 2:158, all nafal acts of ibadah are mustahab (liked and accepted by Allah and hence recommended)

Circumcision is not an act of Ibadah, rather it is a practice which has an independent religious status instituted as Sunnah. And this Sunnah is not in the category of Farz, but rather category of Mustahab (liked and recommended).

The parallel drawn in the video was to convey one point i.e. the way prophet muhammad (sws) emphasized certain nafal salah despite them being mustahab, similarly this sunnah is also the one emphsized by the Prophet (SwS) despite it being mustahab.

The discussion "Concept Of Mustahab In Islam And Which Acts Constitute It" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now