Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Has Anyone Organized Quran Chronologically?

Tagged: ,

• Has Anyone Organized Quran Chronologically?

Umer updated 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member July 6, 2022 at 5:26 am

Please let me know if there exists such information.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member July 6, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Moderators, I cannot seem to find Quran verses organized by the time-line of events described in Quran. Please refer me to an English translation, if such exists.

• Umer

Moderator July 7, 2022 at 1:34 pm

I do not think any such orgnizational system exists. It is because Quran is in its final sequence, given by God himself, and Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) was commanded by God to follow that final recitation. Therefore, initial revelation of Quran is now abrogated and Muslims never recited that after final recitation (famoulsy known as Arza-e-Akhira). What we find in different variant readings of Quran are some remnants of that initial revelation. Therefore, any such attempt to organize Quran chronologically would go against explicit command of God. Probably that’s the reason no such attempts were ever made.

Quran Says:

لَا تُحَرِّکۡ بِہٖ لِسَانَکَ لِتَعۡجَلَ بِہٖ. اِنَّ عَلَیۡنَا جَمۡعَہٗ وَ قُرۡاٰنَہٗ . فَاِذَا قَرَاۡنٰہُ فَاتَّبِعۡ

[To acquire] this [Quran] swiftly [O Prophet!] do not move your tongue hastily over it. [It will be revealed like this. Rest assured] its collection and recital is Our responsibility. So when We have recited it [at that time], follow this recital. (Quran 75:16-18)

Please also refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 57288 • Reply 65264

• Nadeem Minhas

Member July 7, 2022 at 2:57 pm

Thank you brother Umer for your response. Let me clarify. I do not mean reorganizing the entire Quran, each Surah or each and every verse in terms of the sequence in which they were revealed.

My question is related to only the events or stories described in Quran to better understand.

For example, did Allah first create humans or Jinns? Was universe created first or prophet Adam? Did Allah take oath from all humans before sending to Earth or afterwards? How human creation process is described in Quran. Story of Prophets in proper sequence, etc.

• Umer

Moderator July 15, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Such chronological detailing of Quranic events wouldn’t have any concrete basis. Some events in Quran can be chronologically inferred based on the way they are mentioned. However, claiming it with surety would not be academically possible. In order to do that, one needs support from secondary souces, whether in Hadith corpus, historical narrations and Israeli traditions. Usually such attempts are made in history books, which involve a combination of Quranic insights (wherever possible) and mostly narrations that are found in different historical records. One of such work can be found in ibn-e-Kathir’s book Al-bidaya wa nahaya (البداية والنهاية) (Arabic Book: https://al-maktaba.org/book/4445) where he has collected everything in a chronological order from start to end. You may want to refer to that book. Englisg and Urdu translations are also available for this book. Other than that, topic-wise Quranic collections are easily available where you can read all the verses related to one specific person/event e.g. Adam and Eve. etc.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register