Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Moral Problem In Gambling

• Moral Problem In Gambling

Posted by Abdullah AbdulRahman on July 15, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Assalamualaikum

How is there any moral error in gambling? Like I’m doing a mental effort in choosing a player on which I’m gonna bet similar as in stock market. And secondly if as a result a person becomes lazy of doing hardwork or greedy of others money then it’s natural because everyone who sits in market wants money and is greedy of others money?

Umer replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Moral Problem In Gambling

Umer updated 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 16, 2022 at 1:35 am

Gambling is the game of pure chance. No real return is provided for winning money from one for another. That is why people feel bad when they lose money because they get nothing in return. On the other hand, in buying and purchasing, people purchase expensive things but feel no regret for spending their money, as they get a thing in return.

• Umer

Moderator July 17, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Please see:

Discussion 60454

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member July 18, 2022 at 10:48 am

What i have understood in this discussion (60454 also) is:

There is no moral basis for gambling because it’s a game of mere chance without any effort invested. I’m just getting other’s money without giving him any service or getting money on someone’s other’s effort (like in horse game).

But if i just invest some money based on the opinion of some economic expert and i have no knowledge about that, then would it be haram?

Or if i have a field and i have hired people for that and i am just getting money from that field sitting at home, then would it be haram also?

• Umer

Moderator July 18, 2022 at 7:17 pm

That financial expert has both competence and knowledge and he’s not playing a mere ‘game of chance’ with your money. Also, you are not blindly following his advice, you must be asking him questions as to why this strategy and why not any other strategy etc. So it is not Gambling. As Gambling by definition is a game of mere chance.

Hiring others and getting money for work done by them is not chance, you’ve hired competent people and you get paid only when they actually do their work competently and upto the mark. And you don’t have to pay others money when any of their project gets rejected, at worst you’re not getting paid for the work not done to the agreed upon standards.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member August 2, 2022 at 2:20 am

The question of the work in the field was: on what moral basis i am getting the money. Like not doing any work and sitting home only and hiring others to consider the fields. So why am i getting money then?

Secondly, (for understanding I’m asking for the applications). Gambling on horse racing is a game of mere chance. But if i hire some expert who understands the game like how and on which should i bet etc. Would it still be gambling.

Another example, lottery is a game of mere chance. But if some expert understands the algorithm of lotteries and earns millions. Would it still be gambling and forbidden?

• Umer

Moderator August 3, 2022 at 1:25 am

Examples of betting on horse race and lottery are gambling by nature, which means that majority of people would be betting on mere chance to earn money of others without any moral basis to earn that money.

It is true some exceptions can be found where a person can accurately predict the winning horse or lottery through use of well thought-after algorithms, but at the same time, one is doing it to earn money of others over which no moral right exists. Also, exceptions like this cannot overrule the general priciple and primary categorization of these activities as gambling.

It is the somewhat same as saying since small amount of alcohol doesn’t intoxicate me and intoxication is the real reason for prohibition, so it shoud not be forbidden in same amount. When we all know that absolute prohibition means prohibited irrespective of the quantity being consumed (reason is indeed intoxication, but because of that reason, alcohol has been prohibited in absolute sense and now this absolute prohibition rules over the reason for prohibition. Same goes for any form of gambling).

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 2, 2022 at 4:30 am

It is not the EFFORT which makes a thing halal or haram, but the nature of the trade and gambling which makes one halal and other haram.

In trade, you provide something valuable in return to something valuable, which satisfies and justifies the “loss” of money, while in gambling you earn other money without giving him any thing in return which may satisfy or justify the loss of money, no matter you make an effort for it by yourself or by some agent, the nature of the affair remains the same.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member August 2, 2022 at 5:22 am

Sorry for bothering so much, and thanks for help. If you apply this principle on the above mentioned three examples, how would you apply?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 2, 2022 at 5:36 am

Brother, state your problem further if you find any problem in the application.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register