Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Riba Al-fadl, Bai As-Salam And Things To Be Paid On Credit

• Riba Al-fadl, Bai As-Salam And Things To Be Paid On Credit

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on July 17, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Hello, Assalamualaikum.

I have become confused because of the matter regarding Riba-al-Fadl. The other day i was reading an article of Dr.Khalid Zaheer named “Why Riba-al-Fadl is unacceptable”, in the end of article he concluded that “Bay-as-Salam” would also be prohibited, If it’s prohibited, then Why according to a Hadith when prophet was coming to medina, the people paid the price for dates before in advance for couple of years for a specific measure and time. And one more thing that i understood is anything usable taken on credit is Riba, so would it be wrong if for example’ in University i eat some chips and drinks and tell the shop owner to pay later and he also agrees to it, as he knows me. And about advance payment, If i order something online and pay in advance via card and receive the item a few days later?

Please tell me so that i can understand what to do and what not to

Mohammad Ali Soomro replied 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Riba Al-fadl, Bai As-Salam And Things To Be Paid On Credit

• Umer

Moderator July 21, 2022 at 11:41 pm

For Details, please see:

Discussion 31673

For Specific Discussion on this Topic, please refer to the video below from 12:44 to 28:05

https://youtu.be/j9E38LhG2JM?t=764

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member July 22, 2022 at 5:05 am

@UmerQureshi Yes brother Umar, i watched this video but still couldn’t understand fully that, if i do a proper Bay-as-Salam type transaction where i pay advance and specify the full measure and time and weight of everything and there’s no ambiguity left. Would that still be Haram?

• Umer

Moderator July 22, 2022 at 5:24 pm

No, it won’t be Haram.

Interest which is prohibited in Islam only applies to loan transactions.

Anything usuable taken as a loan and the lender demanding additional payment over and above the principal amount is Riba.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member July 23, 2022 at 12:39 pm

@UmerQureshi Sorry to bother you again and again brother, i am a little bit skeptic and sensitive of details. So even if i take anything usable like for example a pack of chips, or dates from a store and tell him to pay it’s fixed price after a month. OR if i reverse roles. I pay him advance with a full payment and clear measure for example for 2kg Dates, for rupees 200 but it will be delivered 2 weeks later. So all of this is halal? If we fix the price of it in the beginning that is to paid later or fix the weight of something that is to be delivered later? So i can freely do it?

I am sorry to disturb you again and again

• Umer

Moderator July 23, 2022 at 11:04 pm

These are simple Trading arrangments. Riba comes in when there is a loan transaction i.e. where you borrow money (or other useable item e.g. Dates) and lender asks you to return it back in the form of money (or the same useable item e.g. Dates) and unconditionally demands profit over and above the original amount (i.e. either demands more money over the principal or in case of Dates, demands more dates over and above the Original Dates or some other Quality dates different than the Dates originally lent by the lender).

If you borrow chips from a shop then you are simple paying the amount of the same chips to the shopkeeper at a later date. There is no loan involved, it is a simple trading arrangment.

Similarly neither is paying Advance to the shopkeeper is a loan arrangement, you are not giving shopkeeper a loan and demanding something over and above that loan (i.e. Riba), you’re paying already determined price for goods (i.e. Dates) that you are purchasing.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member July 24, 2022 at 2:27 pm

@UmerQureshi Thank you so much brother, jazak Allah 🌺

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register