Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Sweepstakes

• Sweepstakes

Posted by Uzair Khalil on July 19, 2020 at 7:19 am

Are sweepstakes permissible in Islam? I know gambling is haram but are all sweepstakes considered as gambling? How about those sweepstakes where there is no entry fee and one dosen’t have to spend anything on claiming the prize. I am specifically asking about PCH (publishers clearing house) sweepstakes.

Umer replied 3 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Sweepstakes

Umer updated 3 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator July 21, 2020 at 10:28 am
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 21, 2020 at 10:50 am

Gamble can only take place when you risk something of your own. If you’re not risking anything of your own then there may or may not be other objections on your transaction, but it won’t be considered a gamble.

• Uzair Khalil

Member September 17, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Let me add some more details to PCH sweepstakes since it’s very tempting and I want to make sure it’s not haram before continue participating in it. The way it works is you earn tokens by playing games, scratch offs, taking quizzes etc and then enter sweepstakes by redeeming tokens. All you have to do is spent time on your mobile, iPad etc to earn more and more tokens to be able to claim as many entries as possible to enhance your chance of being the winner. Another way of entering some big sweepstakes is by watching offers/advertisements by the sponsors. This gives you entry in the sweepstake as well as tokens. I see all kinds of advertisements including donation appeals for charity organizations and mosque construction etc. But I noticed that some of the ads promote gambling i.e the sponsors are those who are involved in gambling.

Keeping all these details in mind, do you see any objections Islam could have if one wins big amount through such sweepstakes? Is it ok to take the money from sponsors who are running illegal businesses (Islamically speaking)? I heard a scholar saying it’s not ok but wanted to have JAG’s point of view.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member September 17, 2020 at 7:12 pm

What about lottery tickets where the ticket is 20$ and the prize money is millions of $

Or at Dubai airport you buy a lottery ticket for. 100 DH and the prize money is a brand new BMW car if your ticket wins the lottery. Such schemes are present all over the world.

Are such lotteries haram?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 18, 2020 at 8:12 am

Mr Uzair Khalil it seems a way to earn money with effort and it involves no harm and deceit so it is halal but the opening ads of Haram things is not allowed. It is just like any economic activity in which Haram things will not be allowed only.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 18, 2020 at 8:13 am

Lottery tickets are outright gambling.

• Umer

Moderator September 28, 2020 at 3:53 am

In recent Q&A Session with Ghamidi Sahab on Questions selected from ASK GHAMIDI Platform:

For answer to your question, please refer to the video below from 1:15:20 to 1:16:31

https://youtu.be/eNJn0iZfZMk?t=4520

The discussion "Sweepstakes" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now