Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Winning Something On Spin Or Shooting

Tagged: 

• Winning Something On Spin Or Shooting

Posted by Abdullah AbdulRahman on August 21, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Assalamualaikum

Would it be counted as gambling if you give money for playing a game like spinning (getting some selected number) or shooting balloons and then you get your money doubled or tripled or get some prize?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Winning Something On Spin Or Shooting

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 22, 2022 at 4:10 am

It is gambling, so not allowed.

Ghamidi saheb writes in his book Mizan:

“Gambling, everyone knows, is merely chancing one’s luck. The Qur’anhas called it“from among the filthy works of Satan”. Obviously, this expression has been employed because gambling gives rise to moral misconduct in a person which gradually encompasses his personality. The reason is that if an economic activity is based on rights and services and rational decisions, it develops a high moral character, and if an economic activity is based on mere chance, fortune and fortuity, it produces an attitude which is based on avoidance of hard work and service. This gives rise to such mean qualities as cowardice and faint-heartedness which subsequently eliminate the innate qualities of honour, integrity, sincerity and self-respect. As a result, a person becomes unmindful to the remembrance of the Almighty and to the prayer, and instead of having love and affection for his fellow beings, he has nothing but enmity and hatred for them.”

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member August 22, 2022 at 9:55 am

But in it he is first giving money for a prize and seems not to be mere luck. For example if you give me 50 rs and say give anything randomly so i give you chocolate, here I’m choosing randomly there spin chooses? Secondly in shooting, it’s even taking my effort, skill, time etc so why not here?

But the question still remains for doubling of money in spin but can’t it be said that if i can win a good and more expensive prize after giving some money then i can get money also?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 23, 2022 at 3:27 am

There is difference between game of skill and game of chance. Pure chance or luck is gambling

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member September 15, 2022 at 10:30 am

So how would you apply that in one case he is giving money e.g 50 rs and getting something by shooting 5 ballons, I’m getting something which falls in the limit of perhaps 1 rs to 50 rs like a 40 or 50 rs chocolate?

In the same case if i would be able to shoot 4 balloons instead of 5, i may get nothing at all?

In another case if for 50 rs i would be able to shoot 5 balloons then i would get 100 rs?

And would the same principle applies for spin (which is a mere chance) and balloons (which requires some skills and concentration)?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 16, 2022 at 12:09 am

In the first case, it is not gambling. I don’t think they would call it gambling either. it requires skill, not just luck. I am not sure what is spin. if it is just luck, it is gambling.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register