Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Keeping Up With The Imam During Prayer

Tagged: , ,

• Keeping Up With The Imam During Prayer

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on August 24, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Asalamualaikum,

If one is praying in jammat and finds themselves unable to keep up with the imam in prayer where there isn’t loud recitation, what should they do?

For example, one may not have finished reciting surah faatiha or tashahhud before the imam. In these cases, is it important to keep up with the imam or finish recitation? And how would this impact the moments where the imam says the takbir to transition into a new part of the prayer?

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Keeping Up With The Imam During Prayer

Haseeb Faisal updated 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 25, 2022 at 4:40 am

In Jamaat we have to follow the Imam. His recitation represents our recitation.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member August 25, 2022 at 6:21 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad.

So, this is even if I can’t hear the Imam’s recitation, such as in Asr’ prayer?

If I am only fifty percent finished tashahhud, I should still immediately get up once the Imam says the takbir?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 25, 2022 at 11:28 pm

You can see the whole Ummah is doing the same ever since the prayers are initiated. So do as people do something as Sunnah

• Haseeb Faisal

Member August 26, 2022 at 7:17 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad,

If you can just clarify one more thing for me. When the Imam says the takbir, do I immediately follow him? Or if I am almost finished tashahhud, I can complete it and then rise? For example, if it is only a matter of a few seconds.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 27, 2022 at 8:44 am

Assalam-o-Alaikam:

Brother Haseeb, I think a few seconds after the imam doesn’t make a difference, but not too late as not to keep up with the imam.

Also, I think if you are reciting too slow, perhaps you can recite a little faster to keep up with the imam. On the other hand, if imam is going abnormally fast, then respectfully ask him to slow down a bit.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member September 18, 2022 at 8:55 am

JazakAllah Mr. Nadeem Minhas,

Yes, your points make sense to me! Thank you so much!

The only thing that I don’t understand is that if the imam’s recitation represents our recitation, then why do we have to recite anything at all in the first place? Maybe @Irfan76 Dr. Irfan Shahzad might be able to guide me here.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member September 18, 2022 at 4:01 pm

Brother Haseeb. Whenever or whatever Imam recite in a loud voice when standing, we are supposed to listen intently. This is usually, Fajar, Jumah, Magrib and Isha. When Imam reads quietly ( Zuhar and Asar) then we need to read on our own. All Allahuakbar we have to repeat after. Otherwise everywhere imam is quiet we need to read on our own. This gives us a chance to recite our favorite Quran verses and our favorite supplications. This is a Sunnah from our prophet.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 19, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Nadeem Saheb’s answer is quite right.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member September 19, 2022 at 8:22 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad and Mr. Nadeem Minhas,

That makes sense! However, the point that is specifically confusing me is that if the imam’s recitation represents our recitation even when the recitation is silent, then why must we recite on our own in that case? For example, even if I have read half of tashahudd during silent recitaiton, I have to get up whenever the imam gets up. So, why must I have to recite tashahudd on my own in the first place?

• Nadeem Minhas

Member September 19, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Brother Haseeb. When Imam is quiet, I am not sure if his recitation represents our recitation. Brother Irfan can verify that.

The only thing I know is that we are supposed to do our own recitation and supplication keeping in mind to keep up with the imam.

We have Sunnahs and Nafal prayers as part of each prayer that you can individually pray and then you can use as short or as long as you want to recite Quran and supplication.

When we are with the group, the group is more important than the individual. So even if imam moves forward and you are not finished, you must cut off and finish your recitation and supplication to be with the group.

On the other hand imam shouldn’t be so quick as to not give a reasonable time to anyone who want to do some recitation and supplication. Imam should not take so long as to put old and sick in discomfort and make people who need to attend business, anxious.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member September 19, 2022 at 9:35 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Nadeem Minhas,

That makes sense!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register