Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Zakat Being Offset By The Taxes We Pay In Non-Muslim Countries

• Zakat Being Offset By The Taxes We Pay In Non-Muslim Countries

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on August 27, 2022 at 9:02 am

Ghamidi Sahib’s approach is that Zakat is offset by the taxes we pay, but most of our taxes are wasted on the defense expenditure. In Europe or US, normally the wars are being waged against the teachings of Islam.

Since most of the employed people pay so much in taxes that if we follow Ghamidi Sahib’s teachings, Zakat will never be due upon them.

Something doesn’t feel right with Ghamidi Sahib’s approach. I pay Zakat on my net income after paying taxes to make sure the money is spent for the benefit of the society and the poor.

What is Ghamidi Sahib’s take on the issue above?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Zakat Being Offset By The Taxes We Pay In Non-Muslim Countries

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 27, 2022 at 11:16 pm

What you want to achieve the benefits for society is the function of the government too. I may prefer to hand over to you my zakat, if i feel you are utilizing the fund in a better way to help society. My zakat will be paid. The same goes for the governments whether Muslims or not, they are supposed to spend it for the benefit of the public. The western governments are more honest in this regard and their spending on public welfare is a reality. So one’s zakat is paid and paid to an agency which can utilize the fund in a better way than an individual.

However, to satisfy one’s desire to do charity one is appreciated to do more charity.

West or other non-Muslims countries have no declared agenda against Islam. The political conflicts between some Muslim and Non-Muslims countries are but political, not religious. Muslims have more freedom to act and progress in their religion in western countries than in their own.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register