Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Punishment Of A Sin In Case Of A Person's Ignorance

• Punishment Of A Sin In Case Of A Person's Ignorance

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on August 29, 2022 at 1:01 pm

My question is that, a person who is it ignorant that something is Haram, is excused from hadd punishment and punishment in hereafter. I read an article in Islamqa.com that ignorance is counted of a person if he doesn’t know about it being Haram but of he knows it’s Haram but didn’t know it’s punishment then this does not expiate from sin. But my question is that wouldn’t this feel like against injustice that he’s excused if he didn’t know it’s a sin but if he knew it’s Haram but didn’t know it’s punishment is huge then he will be punished fully?. And if it’s that case does the punishment they are referring to only worldly punishment or hereafter too? Because in hereafter, wouldn’t Allah judge him according to what he genuinely thought, for example if a person does a major sin but genuinely thought that actually it is a minor sin so he was less sensitive towards it and he did it. So in hereafter will he be given the full punishment of major sin? . And the website have some Hadith for this explanation but i couldn’t know if it’s only about worldly punishment or both. In worldly punishment it can maybe be understandable because then everybody can use it as an excuse, nevertheless the translation of Hadith is.

Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah: Muhammad ibn Ishaq said: I mentioned the story of Maiz ibn Malik to Asim ibn Umar ibn Qatadah. He said to me: Hasan ibn Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Abu Talib said to me: Some men of the tribe of Aslam whom I do not blame and whom you like have transmitted to me the saying of the Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم: Why did you not leave him alone? He said: But I did not understand this tradition. So I went to Jabir ibn Abdullah and said (to him): Some men of the tribe of Aslam narrate that the Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم said when they mentioned to him the anxiety of Maiz when the stones hurt him: Why did you not leave him alone?’ But I do not know this tradition. He said: My cousin, I know this tradition more than the people. I was one of those who had stoned the man. When we came out with him, stoned him and he felt the effect of the stones, he cried: O people! return me to the Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم. My people killed me and deceived me; they told me that the Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم would not kill me. We did not keep away from him till we killed him. When we returned to the Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم we informed him of it. He said: Why did you not leave him alone and bring him to me? and he said this so that the Messenger of Allah صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم might ascertain it from him. But he did not say this to abandon the prescribed punishment. He said: I then understood the intent of the tradition.

Sunan Abu Dawood 4420

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Punishment Of A Sin In Case Of A Person's Ignorance

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 1, 2022 at 12:10 am

God considers man excuses while punishing him here in the world in the form of Hudd or in the hereafter. For example, God pronounced half punishment for the slave girls, who were even kept chaste, for adultery, because they do not have proper training and education and environment. A govt should consider such excuses too while investigating and establishing crime and punishment for someone. In the hereafter too God will examine with justice for sure.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register