Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Ghaz-E-Basar Meaning

• Ghaz-E-Basar Meaning

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 31, 2022 at 11:14 pm

This is what it is, to lower one gaze is a phrase to tell to adopt decency in your manner of looking at someone.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member September 2, 2022 at 11:34 am

But on the other place at 31:19, he translated it as “keep your voice toned down”in a literal meaning rather than that metaphorical meaning?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 2, 2022 at 11:38 am

Because this is the way to show decency in manner of speaking. There is no rule that in a sentence both literary tools can be used at the same time. If I say my soon is the coolness of my eyes and I kiss him when I see him. The first one is metaphor and the second is literal.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member September 2, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Sorry for bothering so much, but can get some example of where “gazz” is used in that metaphorical meaning of decency, because i didn’t find it anywhere in Kalam e Arab.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 5, 2022 at 10:18 pm

In this very verse it is for decency in the manner of looking. To lower down one gaze includes the meaning of looking away and not to stare etc.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member September 11, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Can get some reference from some Kalam e Arab or some other linguistic who has used this word in that meaning. Because it seems that only Ghamidi sahab is interpreting it in the meaning of decency in eyes while even Maulana Islahi sahab also interpreted it as looking down?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register