Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Status Of Zakat When Tax Paid Is In Excess Of Zakat Obligation

Tagged: 

• Status Of Zakat When Tax Paid Is In Excess Of Zakat Obligation

Posted by Kausar Mehmood on September 2, 2022 at 6:16 am

I understand that these are two different things. Zakat on salary is the same as Zakat on production which according to Ghamidi Sir it’s 10%. Zakat on savings is 2.5% which you have to pay yearly. Also according to Ghamidi Sir we can deduct the tax we pay from zakat because thats what Zakat was for in the first place i.e. for the state.

My question is in some countries the tax can be so high that it’s actually more than 10% salary zakat and 2.5% combined, so in this kind of scenario do we still need to pay the 2.5% zakat?

For Example

Gross Salary: 100

Salary Zakat: 10

Tax paid: 20

Net Salary: 80

Savings: 200

Savings Zakat: 5

In the example above the person has savings of 200. So they have to pay 5 zakat. But the monthly tax is 20. Which includes their 10 zakat on salary but can also include the 5 zakat on savings. So in this case will they need to pay the savings zakat separately?

Kausar Mehmood replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Status Of Zakat When Tax Paid Is In Excess Of Zakat Obligation

Kausar Mehmood updated 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 3, 2022 at 11:58 pm

No, in that case Zakat will be considered as paid. Infact, excess tax paid can be carried forward to next year as an adjustment against next year’s zakat liability.

Please refer to the following response by Dr. Shehzad Saleem:

Discussion 59197 • Reply 59198

• Kausar Mehmood

Member September 4, 2022 at 5:16 am

Jazakallah Umer bhai. Thanks for adding the video of Dr. Shehzad Saleem Sahib. That cleared an other question in my head as well.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register