Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Permissibility Of Paying Interest

Tagged: ,

• Permissibility Of Paying Interest

Posted by Mohammed Afsar on September 3, 2022 at 1:25 am

Aslaam’alaikum Ghamidi Sahib
    I am a huge fan of yours, and particularly admire you style of speaking in a calm and very logical manner. Your knowledge and critical approach to learning is unique.
    However, there are a few things I am not completely convinced about; one such is your view that GIVING interest in not prohibited, as nowhere in the Qur’an does it state that GIVING interest is haram.
    The Qur’an issues commandments from a given perspective. For example when talking about marriage, it uses man as a point of reference, and makes it haram to for the man to marry his close blood relatives (mother, daughter, sister, etc). As the marriage is a two-way contract, the marriage between a man and daughter for example is not valid, and therefore by inference, a woman cannot marry her father, etc even though the the Qur’an does not say that you cannot marry your father.
    Likewise, the Qur’an prohibits the taking of interest; as the taking of interest can only happen when someone is giving interest, then any transaction that involves interest is prohibited. Therefore, GIVING interest is also haram, as this cannot occur in isolation of a prohibited transaction. It is very simple logic, and I am surprised that you have not considered it this way.

Umer replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Permissibility Of Paying Interest

Umer updated 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator September 3, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Please refer to:

Discussion 30863

• Umer

Moderator September 4, 2022 at 1:06 am

The illat is different in both cases.

In case of marriage, the illat is ‘Fawahish‘ which applies to both parties and in case of interest, the illat is ‘oppression‘ which is done by the person earning it; hence the application of directives differ as well.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register