Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 49:15 – Doubt After Belief

• Quran 49:15 – Doubt After Belief

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 20, 2020 at 7:32 am

Al-Hujurat 49:15

إِنَّمَا ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنُونَ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ بِٱللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِۦ ثُمَّ لَمۡ يَرۡتَابُواْ وَجَٰهَدُواْ بِأَمۡوَٰلِهِمۡ وَأَنفُسِهِمۡ فِى سَبِيلِ ٱللَّهِۚ أُوْلَٰٓئِكَ هُمُ ٱلصَّٰدِقُونَ

English – Sahih International

The believers are only the ones who have believed in Allah and His Messenger and then doubt not but strive with their properties and their lives in the cause of Allah . It is those who are the truthful.

English – Yusuf Ali

Only those are Believers who have believed in Allah and His Messenger, and have never since doubted, but have striven with their belongings and their persons in the Cause of Allah: Such are the sincere ones.

English – Transliteration

Innama almu/minoona allatheenaamanoo billahi warasoolihi thumma lam yartaboowajahadoo bi-amwalihim waanfusihim fee sabeeli Allahiola-ika humu assadiqoon

English – Pickthall

The (true) believers are those only who believe in Allah and His messenger and afterward doubt not, but strive with their wealth and their lives for the cause of Allah. Such are the sincere.

The previous ayah was about Bedouins. But how can someone control doubts – it is a phenomenon that arises after someone gets information and they start thinking- are we being told to stop thinking?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 2 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 29 Replies
  • 29 Replies
  • Quran 49:15 – Doubt After Belief

Ahmad Shoaib updated 2 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 29 Replies
  • Atif Sajid

Member July 21, 2020 at 8:05 am

Any doubt that does not impact your actions, behavior and answering to the call of a living Prophet is not mentioned here. Right after that it talks about some serious actions that one has to take. Also, the reality of doubts in the presence of a Prophet of God is very different than when the Prophet is gone.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 21, 2020 at 2:37 pm

Could you give an example of a prohibited doubt? Especially in light of ayah 16?

• Umer

Moderator July 22, 2020 at 6:36 am

I think these verses are saying in a very practical manner that ‘Actions speak louder than words’.

Instead of pretentiously claiming your faith in front of Prophet (sws), let it truly transcend itself into actions. And if you act according to the faith you profess, you will get your reward.

In my understanding, the mentioning of doubt is in context after one actually believes in Allah after exhausting all the logical and mental faculties, one will sacrifice His life and His wealth in the way of ALLAH (if and when situation demands it); just like how the first believers did at the time of Prophet (sws).

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 24, 2021 at 5:15 am

Let me ask another way. Is asking the question, as a Muslim, ‘is Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم really a prophet?’ Considered a doubt that would rip you of your status as a true believer?

• Umer

Moderator June 24, 2021 at 6:03 am

If one is doubting prophethood of Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم, then why would one prefer to call himself a Muslim. I don’t understand, what’s the compulsion of him calling himself a Muslim?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 24, 2021 at 6:05 am

He’s an informed Muslim but a question came up and now he seems to have a bit of a doubt. Now he’s obviously not gonna be like I’m an ex Muslim now because of this doubt

• Umer

Moderator June 24, 2021 at 6:24 am

Bhai I think he should seek answers to such doubts with utmost sincerity and then decide for himself. But getting into this debate whether we should call him a Muslim or an ex-Muslims is not our domain. Let him decide for himself and the rest is between Him and The God. I think issue here is more grave than getting stuck into mere terminologies.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 24, 2021 at 6:25 am

I’m not talking about labelling him. I’m saying is belief really such a hard matter (to God himself) that even a doubt can make you a non believer in his eyes?

• Umer

Moderator June 24, 2021 at 6:27 am
    • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 24, 2021 at 6:29 am

I was explained by a scholar (shouldn’t say their name)- that dhann is all the way form 51-100, 109 being full yaqeen. As for my q- does it seem fair that someone be judged a non believer because of a question that arises in his mind?

• Umer

Moderator June 24, 2021 at 6:37 am

It varies from question to question and from doubt to doubt. If its a mere short-lived ‘waswasa’, then it would be just fine. But If a person being an informed Muslim, dies in the state of actually questioning the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (Sws), I think even the use of word ‘Zan’ would be inappropraite in that case.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 24, 2021 at 6:37 am

And this doubt of his is somehow evil? Is it not just a simple question?

• Umer

Moderator June 24, 2021 at 6:57 am

Having a doubt about something you already believe or used to believe and questioning something about religion are two separate things. A question is never evil and can be answered, but doubt is something that is not so straightforward to answer, it has more to do with person’s inner being than the outer being. I don’t know what kind of doubts that brother migth be having, but if he has genuine questions, he should seek their answers with sincerity and even then if dissatisfied, and has genuine doubts that actually remained unanswered despite his effort, his excuse may become acceptable.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 24, 2021 at 8:59 am

Having a doubt, according to my understanding of the word IS questioning it.

Could you give an example of doubt va belief? Because doubts arise from questions as far as I know

• Umer

Moderator June 25, 2021 at 8:54 am

I was referring to the kind of doubt which people have despite getting answers to their questions, and yet they choose to live in a state of doubt and not believe it. This kind of doubt has to do more with the inner struggle of a person and cannot be helped from the outside. However, any doubt when gets transformed into a question, only then it can be answered. Just saying you doubt the very foundation of religion (Questiong Prophet Muhammad (sws) also questions the status of Quran as well), doesn’t boat well with an informed Muslim. One can take a step back and seek answers for such doubts and then decide for himself.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 8:56 am

I don’t get it- how does one, even after getting answers to questions, live in doubt? The very definition of doubt is being unsure because you have questions

• Umer

Moderator June 25, 2021 at 9:05 am

You never heard anyone say to you, “I think the argument is logical, but I don’t know

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 9:36 am

Ah I see. But we don’t paint these people as evil. And I guess surah 49:15-18 doesnt paint the Bedouins as staunch disbelievers either. It just urges them to think. Lemme know if my analysis is wrong

• Afia Khan

Member June 25, 2021 at 9:46 am

Believe is a matter between Allah SWT and the individual. If anyone claim that he is a Muslim, nobody can call him non Muslim. In Quran Allah called the people Kuffar who refused publicly in the presence of Prophet Peace be on him, not anyone else and

إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ بِكُلِّ شَىْءٍ عَلِيم

If someone questions then a sincere Muslim should try to help his brother to get the answer. Best way to take him to a knowledgeable person. And then leave it to Allah and make sincere dua for him. If questioning is a problem then think about you 🙂

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 9:48 am

I think the Bedouins being talked about baiscally thought that let’s just say we’re Muslims to please the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم . As mentioned in ayah 17. But Allah said that dont do this. They must’ve had doubts and qs because they just said they were mumin because of trying to do a favour so Allah said that no- believers don’t have doubts- they come to conclusions through logical reasoning not just as a favour.

So I think it’s not so much about an internal judgement of imaan rather the way they Bedouins came to call themselves Momins which was the issue

• Afia Khan

Member June 25, 2021 at 10:05 am

In this Ayah Allah SWT describing the qualities of a momin. If you see the previous ayah Allah says the Bedouins were Muslims not momin. Hadith Jibreel also describes this difference.

قَالَتِ الۡاَعۡرَابُ اٰمَنَّا ؕ قُلۡ لَّمۡ تُؤۡمِنُوۡا وَ لٰکِنۡ قُوۡلُوۡۤا اَسۡلَمۡنَا وَ لَمَّا یَدۡخُلِ الۡاِیۡمَانُ فِیۡ قُلُوۡبِکُمۡ ؕ وَ اِنۡ تُطِیۡعُوا اللّٰہَ وَ رَسُوۡلَہٗ لَا یَلِتۡکُمۡ مِّنۡ اَعۡمَالِکُمۡ شَیۡئًا ؕ اِنَّ اللّٰہَ غَفُوۡرٌ رَّحِیۡمٌ ﴿۱۴﴾

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 10:07 am

Yeah- a true momin should be one who comes to conclusions logically rather than just as a favour

• Afia Khan

Member June 25, 2021 at 10:45 am

And also thinks that this guidance is a favor of Allah to him. And Allah knows only who is who. Momin, Muslim, munafiq or Kafir

• Ali Shafi

Member June 25, 2021 at 10:42 am

Yes if you have doubt on Last Prophet Mohammed PBUH then you are not muslim. This is neccessary for all muslim for believe on Khatm e Nabwat and on Last Prophet Mohammed PBUH.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 10:43 am

You are not a mumin *. Right?

• Ali Shafi

Member June 25, 2021 at 2:12 pm

You are not muslim and you are telling about momin. Amazing. I described simple rule of Islam.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 2:17 pm

I’m just commenting on what one reading of the ayaat suggests. That you can be a Muslim but non a momin.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator June 25, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Please see:

Discussion 41768 • Reply 41783

“…are we being told to stop thinking”

Not every doubt is worth investigating. We’re being stopped from doubts that are purposeless.

Once we understand the big picture from the information that is already at our disposal, for every doubt that we investigate further, we should be clear in a) is there any objective purpose that our investigation will serve, and b) do we have any means in human sources of knowledge to reach a reasonable answer. If the response to either one these questions is in negative, the only purpose that will be served by our insistence on finding the answer will be wasteful intellectual entertainment. Since there’s no limit to human imagination, such doubts lead us astray and away from the very essence of the subject. We should also be aware of the fact that certain doubts are only as a result of devil’s whispers. Quran is very clear in multiple instances where certain purposeless doubts should not be entertained.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor June 25, 2021 at 1:25 pm

To be honest I’m not sure if 49:15-18 is even talking about this. It seems to be more:

Arab Bedouins thought they would accept Islam as a favour to Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم

They started having some doubts because they didn’t come tk the conclusion logically

Allah said ‘will you teach Allah his religion?’ Because they perhaps didn’t understand something so we’re trying to make their own ideas

They were told that don’t do this as a favour- rather come to imaan as a logical conclusion as the other believers did. And since they came, because the arguments are so strong- they didn’t doubt it.

I would think that their belief would be one of having no doubts of the basic ideas of Islam. Their hearts have so fully accepted the logical arguments of Islam that it’s not that they don’t have doubts rather they can’t have doubts therefore they don’t doubt.

I may be wrong in this analysis but that’s the idea I get.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register