Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Understanding The Fear Of Allah

Tagged: 

• Understanding The Fear Of Allah

Posted by Saad Aamir on September 15, 2022 at 5:29 am

I have intellectually accepted that I will be answerable to Allah one day. So naturally I must seek forgiveness for my sins and avoid more sins as much as I can, and seek repentance if I fail each time. However, by default I do not feel that afraid of the consequences once I am satisfied with my effort to repent and avoid sins i.e I am more focused, by default, that Allah is loving, forgiving and merciful that can punish me so I should avoid angering Him but until I sin or have sinned but neglected my repentance, by default I feel secure and eager to meet Him on Day of Judgment, that I am hopeful that Inshallah, I will suceed in His test but I keep up my precautionary measures against sin and repentance in case I might fail but I am more hopeful than afraid.

My question is that is my understanding of fearing Allah and attitude correct? Because I hear people crying or shakened by fear of Allah. One incident I remember was a Sahabah seeing an heated iron being hit by a blacksmith and they thought of Hell and started crying. I’m not sure if I have that nor I understand how you can be hopeful and fear of Allah at the same time. Fear of angering Allah takes me when I am near sin or have committed but when I am not, I am hopeful that Allah will forgive but I’m not sure if I have both hope and fear at the same time, one seems to dominate the other at the given stage. Is it normal or a misunderstanding of the concept?

Umer replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Understanding The Fear Of Allah

Umer updated 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 15, 2022 at 6:05 am

Your understanding is correct and this attitude is right. Sahaba were more fearful because of the designation they were given by God that they were the custodian of religion to spread it to the nation. the burden of responsibility sometimes make man more vulnerable in his own sight.

on the other hand, some people are more prone to be fearful than having trust in their own judgement. So this is the problem of different natures of people. as far as your attitude is concerned it is quite right and logical.

• Umer

Moderator September 15, 2022 at 11:39 pm

Please also refer to the video below from 39:48 to 43:41

The discussion "Understanding The Fear Of Allah" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now