Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of Istikbar And Doing Sins Knowingly

• Meaning Of Istikbar And Doing Sins Knowingly

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on September 18, 2022 at 4:20 am

Hello,

My question is that in various threads you used the word Istikbar as doing sins knowingly. What i understand from this is that it is not for a person , for example who did a sin while having knowledge that this act is a sin and but he did not do it out of a rebellious mindset or the ‘I will not be a slave to Allah in this matter’ type mindset, but he did that because at that time he was outnumbered by emotions and urge and lost control and did that sin. Istikbar and “Knowingly doing sins” as you mentioned before, is actually the one who decides or has a mindset that ‘I won’t surrender to Allah’s will and order in this matter and do as i want and what pleases me’, this actually is the Istikbar but not in the first case where a person had knowledge about it that it’s a boundary being crossed but, he innately believed and accepted to surrender to Allah’s will but at that time he was outnumbered and lost to his emotions and urge (and maybe also a combination of strong urge and like hope from mercy of Allah), this person’s sin is counted as a mistake rather than Istikbar. Am i right?

Umer replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Meaning Of Istikbar And Doing Sins Knowingly

Umer updated 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator September 19, 2022 at 2:41 am

That is correct. Sarkashi is an attitude of insistence on the wrong despite several warnings on the way and not heeding to those signs. If a person commits a major sin while being overwhelmed with emotions, he should repent and mend his ways. It is essential that he repent as soon as possible. The Almighty has clearly stated in the Quran that He will forgive people who commit a sin while being overwhelmed with emotions if they repent right after it. But He will not forgive people who sin all their lives and repent when they see death approaching. Similarly, He will not forgive people who deliberately reject the truth if they continue with this attitude till their death:

إِنَّمَا التَّوْبَةُ عَلَى اللّهِ لِلَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ السُّوءَ بِجَهَالَةٍ ثُمَّ يَتُوبُونَ مِن قَرِيبٍ فَأُوْلَـئِكَ يَتُوبُ اللّهُ عَلَيْهِمْ وَكَانَ اللّهُ عَلِيماً حَكِيماً وَلَيْسَتِ التَّوْبَةُ لِلَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ السَّيِّئَاتِ حَتَّى إِذَا حَضَرَ أَحَدَهُمُ الْمَوْتُ قَالَ إِنِّي تُبْتُ الآنَ وَلاَ الَّذِينَ يَمُوتُونَ وَهُمْ كُفَّارٌ أُوْلَـئِكَ أَعْتَدْنَا لَهُمْ عَذَابًا أَلِيمًا

It is incumbent upon God to forgive those who commit a sin while being overwhelmed with emotions and then quickly repent. It is they who are forgiven by God. God is all-knowing and wise. But He will not forgive those who sin all their lives and, when death comes to them, say: “Now I repent!” nor those who die as disbelievers. It is for these that We have prepared a grave punishment. (Quran 4:17-18)

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register