Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Advice For A New Muslim

• Advice For A New Muslim

Posted by Rowland Chambers on September 27, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Salam.

Let me start by stating that I am coming from a place of little understanding, and am quite early in my journey with Islam. May Allah (and whoever reads this) forgive me if I state something inaccurate, or entirely ignorant.

I am a male born here in the USA, who has read the Quran and believes that there is no God but Allah, and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) was his messenger.

As far as Quanist thought, I find it deficient as there is a lack of context for the Quran without it, so to dismiss this offhand would be at best a mistake, at worst a dangerous mistake.

If I am correct in understanding, the well known schools of Islamic thought place precedence of Hadith over the Quran, which from my (albeit ignorant) position seems irrational, as the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was sent to bring us the Quran, and the Hadith are just an oral tradition of those who knew him.

I guess my question is simply what should I do to further my understanding? I know no other Muslims and have been shy about contacting any of my local organizations, mainly out of concern that I wish to not me misled by thought that is borne out of a school of thought of man, and not necessarily the correct path

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Advice For A New Muslim

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 27, 2022 at 3:44 pm

Knowledge is a lifelong journey and we are all at different stages of our journey so there’s no need to apologize. Even if you say something that’s not quite right, the moderators on our platform will try to help you identify your mistake without judging you.

The first thing that I will suggest is that you should read a good translation of the Quran. I suggest the following, but you can pick any translation that is easy for you to understand.

Javed Ahmed Ghamidi / Shehzad Saleem

This translation is available for free in the Javed Ahmed Ghamidi app and on this web site. A hard copy can also be purchased at this web site.

Before you start reading the Quran, this short introduction to the Quran will really help you understand the book in its proper context.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in this app. You can also connect with any moderator by sending them a private message.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register