Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Explanation Of Reminding Favors

• Explanation Of Reminding Favors

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on September 28, 2022 at 8:33 am

Assalamualaikum, Hello there!

There is an Ayat 264 of Surah Baqarah

O believers! Do not waste your charity with reminders ˹of your generosity˺ or hurtful words, like those who donate their wealth just to show off and do not believe in Allah or the Last Day. Their example is that of a hard barren rock covered with a thin layer of soil hit by a strong rain—leaving it just a bare stone. Such people are unable to preserve the reward of their charity. Allah does not guide ˹such˺ disbelieving people.

And some Hadith are states in different websites, I’m not sure about their authenticity but basically they were prohibiting “Reminding Favors” etc.

So i wanted to ask what exactly does come under the ruling of Reminding favor.

For example i love my friend as a brother and I bought chocolates and some gifts for him (Not for intention of Sawaab, or for Allah, but to make him happy and that our love increases and maybe someday he’ll get me some gifts too). And after a few days he becomes angry with me that i don’t give him importance anymore and don’t love him anymore, then i remind him that “No i do love you as a brother and want us to be near, that is why on such-such day i bought gifts for you, just because we could be closer brothers etc” if i remind them like this without any intention to assert my pride, but just to make him realize that i love him. Does this also come under reminding Favors??

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Explanation Of Reminding Favors

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 29, 2022 at 2:25 am

In such matters the best judge is your conscience. In different situations and context, things give different meanings. in your case, it is not reminding to hurt.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 30, 2022 at 2:19 am

@Irfan76 sir, as you said that in this case it’s not reminding to hurt. So does it mean the only reminder that hurts the other person is actually that which is discussed above? Right?

But just another question, isn’t the 2 things both separately said in above Ayat, like reminding…and …hurting. Or they both are said in same context like reminding that causes hurt to other on their self respect

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 30, 2022 at 5:54 am

Things are good or bad with the intention and the result involved. To remind a favour to save a relation is a noble thing and to remind to hurt is a bad thing. So when God condemns reminding it is of course for a bad intention and result.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register