Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam What Exactly Falls In Disrespecting Religion

• What Exactly Falls In Disrespecting Religion

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on September 30, 2022 at 2:52 am

Assalamualaikum, Hello there,

My question today is quite different question in my opinion in a sense that i have not seen many people asking question about it.

My question is that what things exactly fall in the category of disrespecting the religious things (Quran, Or a frame with Allah’s name, the qibla). Sometimes we hear from parents and other people of religious knowledge that for example, “don’t point feet towards Kaaba or Quran…it is disrespectful” “don’t give your back towards Kabah”. What are the reality of such sentences in light of Islam? Are they really taken as disrespecting things of religion, even if the person who does that does not intend to disrespect any religious ritual or thing.

Yes i have heard from people of knowledge that they quote Hadith (i am not sure of their authenticity) which prohibit answering call of nature in direction of facing or giving back towards Kabah.

Now the question arises, what will decide what actually falls in the category of disrespecting even if the person does not intend to disrespect. Is it left for individual to decide and give religious verdict according to his own taste and culture? If that’s the case then this list can keep going own, like someone might go one step ahead and say that doing a sin, in a house which is near masjid is also disrespecting the masjid (Which is a symbol (emblem) of Allah, “Sha’ir Allah”) then someone may go one step ahead and say that doing a sin in the same society where there is a masjid is also disrespecting masjid.

And if its upon a culture to decide, so according to some culture it is disrespectful to sit by showing your back to an elder, and in some cultures it is not. So the ruling on sitting with your back facing towards Kabah would be Haram for one belonging to former culture and not for the one that belongs to the latter culture?. This list can also keep on going. According to cultures etc.

Or is it Allah himself that would decide what is actually disrespecting or we can say violation of the sanctity of Allah. I think this makes the most appropriate sense, so only those things which are told by revealed by Allah through prophet, can fall into categories of disrespecting or violation, even if the person does not intend to disrespect religion through it. For example one may say that answering call of nature, by giving back or facing Kabah is not appropriate and he may give a reference to such a Hadith that i talked about above, then it would be all good. Or something else that is proved by some other religious text to be disrespecting, which would all be good.

But by giving examples like “it is disrespectful to point feet towards Kabah, because if your father would be sitting near you, would you point feet towards them?”

The point is it totally depends, some cultures do not view this as disrespect, some cultures do view this as disrespect. And even in those cultures that view this as disrespect, some fathers do not think like that and are totally okay with their children pointing feet towards them. So this can go on. And by the same token, NUMEROUS scenarios can be made like, would it be disrespecting (meaning i will also get a sin for disrespecting religion) if i do a sin in the same room, where there is Quran in a cupboard? Would this also be disrespecting religion if a say a foul/swear word in the same room where there is a frame of Ayat-ul-Kursi? Would it be disrespecting religion everytime I say a foul word to anyone or even randomly, because with this same mouth, sometimes i read Quran too? Would it be disrespecting Quran if my brother is reading it by sitting in floor and i sit above in a sofa in the same room or beside him? Would it be disrespecting Quran if i place a CD of a movie which has a less appropriate cover on CD box, near the Quran in the same table?

So i wanted to know, what does Islam say about this theme?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • What Exactly Falls In Disrespecting Religion

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 30, 2022 at 6:58 am

Some manners and gestures and expressions are black and white in terms of being respectful or disrespectful in every culture, whereas some manners and gestures and expressions are disrespectful in one culture and not in others. A man of culture, who knows his culture, if does a disrespectful act, it is considered disrespectful and dealt accordingly. However, if an act is disputed, that it is disrespectful or not, then the intend of the person should be sought first.

One should keep in mind that cultural disrespectful acts are not necessarily disrespectful to God and may not incur sin. For example falling of Quran on the ground even if mistakenly, is considered a great sin in our society, while to God is not sin major or minor. it is just a mistake.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am

@irfan76 So we can conclude that if someone says this is disrespectful and hence a sin, this can only be decided and told by Allah himself right? Like even if in a culture where pointing feet towards someone is disrespectful, a person who lives in that society, sleeps or sits with his point facing qibla, but he has NO INTEND AT ALL to disrespect qibla. Then near Allah, this is actually not disrespect. Right sir?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 3, 2022 at 12:51 am

Yes.

The discussion "What Exactly Falls In Disrespecting Religion" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now