Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of Hadith Of Loving For Your Brother What You Love For Yourself

• Meaning Of Hadith Of Loving For Your Brother What You Love For Yourself

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on September 30, 2022 at 7:54 am

Assalaam u alaykum. Hello

There’s a Hadith that is mentioned.

Jami` at-Tirmidhi 2515

Anas narrated that the Prophet(saw) said:

“None of you believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Can you explain what does this hadith actually means? Because if we take it literally word to word, it applies to very very small details and i guess it would be going out of what general Islamic frame is.

For example, a person sometimes expects or we can say intrinsically loves that some extra good be done to them, but when it comes to his own turn, they sometimes do not hold to that level. For example, in my opinion, according to Islamic perspective, it is good and recommended for a person that they prepare food and sweets for their guest when guests come, but if they don’t this and just serve them a cup of tea, it’s still acceptable and no problem (there’s no sin etc). But the same person when goes to someone else’s house, may sometime intrinsically feel a love for, that, food and sweets be made for them when they become someone else’s guest even if he does not says to them or demands it, but he feels a love for it or an intrinsic sense of (Agar hojaye toh zabardast hai).

So in this case we know that only serving a tea is also not a sin on the first person and it is acceptable, but at the same time that person feels a love that special things be made for him. But apparently this scenario contradicts the meaning of Hadith, by which there is negation of his faith!!

By one sense we know it’s not obligatory on first person but in words of Hadith we see a big threat.

And also in another scenario, when we do something wrong to someone, we feel like we want that person to forgive us immediately and forget everything about this bad incident and love us the same way before that incident. But sometimes when same bad thing happens to us, we sometimes fail to forgive so early or even if we forgive, we do not easily forget it (become like nothing happened at all, like a rewind). And we feel bad or at least less interested in talking to that person again with that same level of love and interest… Hence there is to some extent a difference in what we want when it comes to us and what we give when it comes to others.

So what does this Hadith actually mean? Please tell me I’m detail so i understand it fully.

Umer replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register